Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 7 bsod when adding ram

• Please log in to reply

dcsilviu89

dcsilviu89

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So... my problem is
i got a 2x1gb pack. ddr2.
i tried adding 1 more 2x1gb (same kind that i already have) and i keep getting bsod.
i also tried 2x512mb. same problem
i dont know what i should do in order to upgrade my ram.

pc specs
mother board - asus p5ql pro
cpu - intel e8400
ram - corsair twin2x 2x1 gb
video - ati sapphire 4850 hd
os - win 7 ultimate 32 bit

Edited by dcsilviu89, 12 September 2012 - 01:24 AM.

Advertisements

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
any overclocks, have you ever modified the bios?

Download BlueScreenView It'll tell you what was the cause of the bluescreen. Just tell me what the bug string and caused by device say.

Also, try booting it with only the new ram. if it boots it's most likely either a configuration issue or the mobo itself.

Edited by Gabriel1, 12 September 2012 - 07:12 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
In addition to the advice from my colleague and please do as he has asked re the Blue Screen View

That motherboard supports the following ram
4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR2 1066/800/667 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

On the motherboard there are four ram slots and going from the processor they are coloured yellow, black, yellow, and black

1. Post the spec of the ram you have purchased

2. Was the computer shut down and the power cord disconnected when you installed the new ram
That may sound a silly question but you may be surprised to know that people do try to insert ram with the power on

3. Where was the ram orignailly inserted when you opened the case - eg in which slots

4. and in connection with the above point 3 - where did you place the new two sticks of 1GB

5. You moved aside the small white catches at each end of the slot - you inserted the stick by touching - holding ONLY the edges of the stick, checking the orientation of the slot on the bottom edge of the stick, in relation to the bar in the slot

You then checked as you inserted the stick that the small clips had re located to the notches at each end of the stick

6. You took anti-static precautions by taking hold of the bear metal of the case ESPECIALLY if you touched any component of the ram

7. You ensured that you did not disturb any other component or cable - connection , whilst inserting the ram.
Please check if necessary and confirm points 5, 6 and 7 are correctly dealt with

8. In respect of the advice from my colleague

Also, try booting it with only the new ram

INDEED please do and also although it sounds very obvious - try booting it with ONLY the original ram as well
That latter test will ensure that it is NOT something you have done, whilst removing and insering ram

dcsilviu89

dcsilviu89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
its not something i did(i did not temper with bios/overclocking)... im 99% sure because it is not the first pc i try upgrading
i bought my pc part by part and i installed it miself, stripped it a few times to clean the dust and reinstalled everithing without a problem.
i had this problem some time ago but after i returned the new purchased ram i didnt try to temper with it again.
these are the dumps
http://i45.tinypic.com/2e1r4g5.png

the ram pack i have is corsair twin2x 2x1024 mb
i tried adding 1 more of the same, eventually i returned them to the seller.
computer was shut down, power cable unplugged.

the first set of ram i inserted into slots 1 and 3(the yellow ones)
the 2nd on 2 and 4(the black ones
i preatty much know how to add new hardware to my pc (i know there are alot of people who cant handle hardware, but i can) so the ram was installed correctly

i tried booting with the new ram inserted in slots 1 and 3. no problem there.
the problem was when trying to add them all 4.

should i try with a new pair of 2x2 gb or 2x4?

Edited by dcsilviu89, 15 September 2012 - 12:14 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
PLEASE do as I asked

Post the spec of the ram you have purchased

and that you were trying to use - deven if you have now sent it back

as this

the ram pack i have is corsair twin2x 2x1024 mb

is of no help

and please accept my apologies for my posting of the full guidance to installing ram - had I have known your tech. knowledge I would not of course have done so

The link you have sent for the Blue Screen View is of no use
Please do this
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Send it please as above - as the actual text -not as another link that we have to open.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
dcsilviu89

How did you progress please.