Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lojack-BIOS-malware computrace/by absolute.com

• Please log in to reply

sandor54

sandor54

• Pip
  • 1 posts
PROBLEM: lojack (maybe this stands for "locate and hijack")...also called "computrace" made by absolute software
BIOS - based software used with "persistence" (disappears after de-activation) in service manager and rpcnetp .dll and .exe in /system32 . Sold (without knowledge of buyer) to most: dell, toshiba, asus, etc.... It is loaded in BIOS, using the processing power we paid for and (when activated) capable of sending dir. info(and what else?) and blocking directories. See advertised capabilities on absolute.com.
I ran into that problem because my computer became "suspicious", and lojack was activated - I bought my toshiba in the US but was using it in Europe. Nobody could have complained since it is hardware bought and used by me alone. Other forums i found said cops were happy with it for helping locate stolen hardware; some companies paid computrace for blocking/locating/retrieval... The only working advice (from a "thief") was to dump, re-write and reload BIOS - risky, even for geeks...
SOLUTION: PLEASE come up with a safe BIOS rework solution; PLEASE copy this to the internet rights group you think most appropriate dealing with the right to use /resell hardware. All lojacks use our hardware, but when activated - for example because of suspicion of illegal use of information, you are denied the use of ANY and ALL hard /soft, be that by government, a private company or any thief, because what one man can encode another can decode (and the BIOS resident entry point is already in your hardware!) - just ONE disgruntled absolute employee is enough to put at risk ALL those brand name computers already sold!!! If, without knowing, i already paid for lojack, let me have the right to remove it(i don't want to be at risk)! Those who need it(and judge it safe enough), can keep it and/or pay for it!
NOTE: true: absolute.com will de-activate lojack if you suppply them with proof of purchase(but can't/won't remove it from BIOS), but what about a "net-terrorist" or a blackmailer or someone with a grudge?

Edited by sandor54, 11 October 2012 - 02:43 AM.

Advertisements