Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen (tcpip.sys) please help!

• Please log in to reply

Cybertree

Cybertree

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello im new to these forums so i hope i havn't just created something which has already been answered.

My PC (which is running vista 32-bit) keeps blue screening and the problem seems to be something to do with tcpip.sys i looked at this thread
http://www.geekstogo...ys-problemhelp/
but i have no idea how to identify which program the .dmp files are related to.

hope that made sense, thank you.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Look in C:\Windows\Minidump. Zip up the last 4 or 5 .dmp files and upload them here so I can take a look at them.

You have to use the Full Editor and the Browse and Attach This File button below the text input area to do this.

Cybertree

Cybertree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hope this is okay, and thank you very much for the helpAttached File  Minidump files.zip   71.15KB   138 downloads

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Each dump is different.

cfrmd.sys - Comodo Firewall
sidebar.exe - Windows Sidebar
tcpip.sys - ??
ntkrpamp.exe - ??

Try uninstalling Comodo Firewall, see if that helps. If not then backup your data to be safe then do a Repair Install. If you don't have a Windows install CD, do you have a manufacturers Recover CD? If so, use it.

With Vista, you may also have a Recovery Partition on the hard drive you can use to restore the computer to it's factory new state. This will wipe out everything, data and programs you've installed so make sure you backup your data first.

What is the make and model number of the computer? We may be able to find the Users Manual online which will tell us how to get to the recovery partition (if there is one).

Cybertree

Cybertree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Its a dell desktop but ive changed the graphics card and power supply. do you need the service tag, product key or the computer specs? not sure where the model number is. tbh i havent got all that much i need on my PC with the exception of my steam games and save files, i mostly use my macbook for work. think i have all the dell discs but i dont think i have the windows disc. i was also thinking about switching to windows 8, would now be a good time and also is it easy to switch to 64 bit or do you recommend i stick with 32.

In short it will probably do my PC some good to "hit the reset button" as i have alot of stuff i dont really use and over the years my PC has developed several weird quirks.

sorry i sure this isnt all that helpful.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can get a Windows 8 upgrade version for $39 so now is a god time if you want to do it.

Have you looked at it at all? It's very different, looks like a large iPhone with the Metro interface.

I'm running it in a dual boot setup with Windows 7 and have got it setup so it looks and feels like Windows 7, including a good Start menu, Quick launch and normal Desktop.

Cybertree

Cybertree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah i watched some reviews, seems quite different but tbh i hate vista and the low price at the mo is rather tempting. I originally thought it was all in the metro style but was pleased to see the more traditional desktop return. so should i backup my files on an external hard drive or would it be best to try this partition thingy, if so how do i do that. also would be alot of hassle switch to 64bit. thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Definitely backup, no matter what you decide to do.

If you switch to 64bit you will have to format during the install so a backup is a must. I recommend 64bit if you have the hardware and memory to make it worth doing, Otherwise stay with 32bit and do a normal upgrade.

robertoberoi

robertoberoi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well what I think is the error is not really with tcpip.sys, but something else that is manifesting as a tcpip.sys error. The problem has been identified as "something else". Try changing the windows version from 32 bit to 64 bit or upgrade your windows to Windows 8. It will solve your problem.please do not forget to take backup of your important data.

Cybertree

Cybertree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks guys!!! im in proccess of backing it all up now so il let you know how it goes, once again thanks for all the help

Cybertree

Cybertree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
now running windows 8, no problems so far and ive got all my important data. Thanks all, i really appreciate it :)