Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring Asus N10J Series to factory settings without disk?

• Please log in to reply

Joe787

Joe787

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ive been having a shed load of problems with my Asus N10J series laptop and i would like to do a complete system restore but im not to sure how to? I never got a Restore disk with the laptop (it doesnt have a cd drive).
Ive gone as far as doing the whole:
F8 > System Recovery options > Windows complete system restore.

However, it comes up with a pop up message saying "No valid backup locations could be found. Windows cannot find a backup on the hard disks or dvds on this computer. Attach the correct hard disks or insert the last backup disks and then start the restore process again."

So basically i need to know how i can do a factory restore wihout a disk, if its possible or an alternative method that anyone knows?

Let me know if anything else is needed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can get to the Recovery Partition on the hard drive by pressing F9 at system startup.

Let us know if this helps. If not I can get you the phone number to call Asus and order a set of recovery disks. You would then have to try and borrow a external cdrom drive to recover the system back to factory new. You do realize this will format your system losing all your data?

Joe787

Joe787

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
IT WORKS!

wow thanks rshaffer61!
I wasnt expecting to get this sorted today. Started up with F9 and it comes up with ASUS Preload so have run that now.
Thats great, very quick help indeed.
I realize i will lose everything on there but that is fine as i have it all backed up.

Youve been lots of help
Thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me know how everything works once you are finished with the recovery. I'm glad I could be of assistance. :thumbsup:

Joe787

Joe787

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Its just finished now and everything is working great.
Ill be abit more cautious on the software i put on there from now on. Try and keep a better system going.

Thanks again! Much appreciated!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you using a Anti Virus and if so which one? This will help you a lot on getting a infection again.

Joe787

Joe787

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Are you using a Anti Virus and if so which one? This will help you a lot on getting a infection again.

I was using Norton antivirus that came with the laptop, but its likely the trial ran out (tbh i dont really go much on Norton). Ive put AVG on there now, so hopefully that will help.
Ive also put ccleaner on there to uninstall software i dont use, but also to use for the registry scan that is on there aswell.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Be very careful with the registry cleaner.
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Just a note: Before attempting to clean or fix any registry you should always make a backup of it first just in case something goes wrong.

Joe787

Joe787

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Be very careful with the registry cleaner.
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Just a note: Before attempting to clean or fix any registry you should always make a backup of it first just in case something goes wrong.

Ah thats all new to me! Thanks for the link. Maybe i wont be so quick to use the registry cleaner then.
This is all good information for a noob like myself :)

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and I am very happy to have been of assistance. :thumbsup: