Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will not boot, device drivers not found.

• Please log in to reply

kinolie21

kinolie21

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
My sister's computer quit working and I was attempting to fix it. It is a Toshiba Satellite C655, INtel Pentium CPUB950, 2.10 GHZ, HDD/SSD none, ODD MATSHITADVD-RAM US8BO, mEMORY 4096MB. When you turn the computer on, there is a clicking noise and then it goes to a black screen that says "instert cd boot" or something like that. Since she has none of the original cds or discs, I was just going to install windows 7 professional because I have it on disc. However, when I attempt to load it, on the install windows page it says "no drivers were found" when I hit "load driver" it says "no device drivers were found". In the system recovery options the "operations system/partition size/location" is completely blank. I am at an absolute loss as to what to do from this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

My sister's computer quit working and I was attempting to fix it. It is a Toshiba Satellite C655, INtel Pentium CPUB950, 2.10 GHZ, HDD/SSD none, ODD MATSHITADVD-RAM US8BO, mEMORY 4096MB. When you turn the computer on, there is a clicking noise and then it goes to a black screen that says "instert cd boot" or something like that.

This sounds like a dead hard drive.

HDD Diagnose

Let's diagnose your HD.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

If it fails this test then you will need to replace the hard drive.

kinolie21

kinolie21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'm not really sure how to do what you are asking... I cannot get into anything on the computer. When I turn it on, it just clicks and then goes to a black screen with white words. I am unable to access the internet on the computer... so how do I run the diagnostic? Do I put it on a disk from another computer and then put it in the Toshiba? Also, I looked at the website and I am not sure exaclty which hard drive the computer has. I just know it is a Toshiba computer...

Thank you!

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
[quote]Do I put it on a disk from another computer and then put it in the Toshiba?[/quote]
Yes, you make a bootable CD on another computer and then boot up on it on your sister's Toshiba.

[quote]I just know it is a Toshiba computer...

To verify what hard drive it is go into the BIOS by pressing the F2 Key to enter SETUP on the Toshiba. The first page that comes up should show the HDD/SSD. The name of the brand or a set of letters can tell me which brand it is. If it is blank then the hard drive is not recognizable and you will have to remove it and replace it.

Please post what it says in your next reply.

regards,

CompCav

kinolie21

kinolie21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, in the Bios it says HDD/SSD None. So I am guessing this means I need to replace the hard drive? My next question is, how do I find out what type of hard drive I need to buy to replace it with and is it possible I could do it myself or is very difficult?

Thank you!!

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

Ok, in the Bios it says HDD/SSD None. So I am guessing this means I need to replace the hard drive? My next question is, how do I find out what type of hard drive I need to buy to replace it with and is it possible I could do it myself or is very difficult?

One of our techs that deals with these issues,(I am malware) will be along to help with this issues. Please be patient.

Regards,

CompCav

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

When you turn the computer on, there is a clicking noise and then it goes to a black screen that says "instert cd boot" or something like that.

Known as the click of Death so yes the hd is gone. :upset:

My next question is, how do I find out what type of hard drive I need to buy to replace it with and is it possible I could do it myself or is very difficult?

I will try to assist in this part. :thumbsup:

Toshiba Satellite C655

Hard Drive* 250GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial ATA)

What you need is a 2.5 inch drive size and presuming you would like at least the 250 gig capacity again.

NewEgg has one HERE that should work just fine for 49.99 plus shipping.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
kinolie21,

You are in excellent hands now to deal with your current issue.

Regards,

CompCav

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Just a suggestion. Get a 7200RPM drive instead of the 5400RPM drive. You will get better performance.

TigerDirect has one here for $64.99, no shipping. If you do some Google searches for 250GB SATA laptop hard drives you'll see lots of results.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good suggestion Ztrucker. I should have thought of that also but was looking more for a exact replacement. :whistling: