Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSODs, random shut-downs, freeze ups

• Please log in to reply

robvmi96

robvmi96

• Pip
  • 2 posts
MS Windows Vista - Home Premium Edition (x32)
SP2

This computer has been giving me problems for a while. Recently they've gotten intolerable. As indicated in the title, BSODs, random shut-downs, and freeze ups occur randomly every time the computer is in use. Cannot work for more than 15 or 20 minutes at a time without one of the aforementioned occurring. I can't establish a pattern; in other words, no specific issue occurs when performing any specific issue on the computer. It seems that it can happen at any point.

So far the file names displayed on BSOD's that I've been able to capture are:
TCPIP.sys
BHDrvx86.sys
amdk8.sys

When the BSOD's display number strings I haven't been able to capture them.
Just this afternoon, when I logged on the the computer, I started seeing issues I've never seen before. They are:
- The time is wrong (down in the lower right)
- windows can't check for updates
- Chrome and Internet Explorer are blocking numerous sites indicating invalid or expired certificates
- a program I installed a week ago, registered and have used many times, now starts as if running for the first time and when I reenter my activation code, it says it's not valid.

I will attempt to upload the last few DMP files. Any help appreciated. I'm not ready to take it in to Geek Squad yet.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Attached Files

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
For the time being wrong, replace the CMOS battery, silver about the size of a quarter, CR2032.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One of the dumps shows a EXCEPTION_GP_FAULT so it would be a good idea to test your ram.

Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

You can do this on any computer that has a working CD Burner.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that. An overnight run is even better.

robvmi96

robvmi96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the quick replies Ztruker. For what it's worth, I did a system restore to the date that I think is when I bought the computer. After that it worked perfectly for about 24 hours, then BSOD.

So, I followed your instructions and ran the Memtest overnight last night for about 6 hours in which time it ran through 5 passes. It showed 0 errors. FYI it showed EEC (or ECC) disabled; not even sure what that is or if it matters.

I've attached the DMP file from the BSOD I mentioned above. Any additional analysis greatly appreciated. If it's time for a system recovery it's not the end of the world; it'll just stink doing it.

Thanks,
Rob

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The dumps are all different, but seem to point to a drive problem.

Try updating the video driver. If no help see if there is a newer driver for the network and sound.

It will probably be quicker to backup your data and do a restore to factory state and start over.