Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Making ubuntu 12.10 bootable again

• Please log in to reply

hcelizondo

hcelizondo

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi there everyone. I have an old inspiron 530s that I use at home. It was a win 8 pre-release/ubuntu 12.10 system.
A week ago I had a virus outbreak ( http://www.geekstogo...48#entry2237948 ) and at the end of the day i had to format/install win 8 (now pro version)

The problem after the installation win 8 (primary partition) is not recognizing the ubuntu partiotion, therefore I can't login into ubuntu. Is there a way to make this partition bootable again and have the menu at the begining where i can choose which OS to boot? any help will be truly appreciated

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
The easiest way is to reinstall Ubuntu on the existing partition without formatting.

mteezey

mteezey

• Pip
  • 7 posts
There's a program called boot-img repair (should be able to find in simple Google search if not I will link when I get to pc) it will scan the partitions and correct them for you. If your trying to dual boot windows and Linux your best bet is to have Linux on the primary along with the bootloader. You can still configure it to boot to windows as a default but you will be given the option at boot of which os you want to boot into. The program "boot-img repair" will usually do this for you as long as there isn't too many partitions for it to sort through.

ash004

ash004

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Install wine and another software call Playonlinux,