Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Delete my old windows

• Please log in to reply

Solleey

Solleey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello!
I recently installed Windows 7 on the same partition as the old windows(XP), meaning on C. Now the partition is full and I want to delete my old windows. Can someone please tell me how can I do this? If I format the partition it will delete Windows 7 also, right?
What I am asking is, is there a way to delete my old windows without affecting windows 7 that is installed on the same partition?
Thank you in advance!:)

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Reinstall Windows 7 but this time go into the Drive Options (Advanced) section and delete all partitions.

This will render you with a single partition that you can install Win 7 to.

http://communities.i...37/advanced.png

Edited by Wolfeymole, 19 January 2013 - 09:06 AM.

Solleey

Solleey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the response, but is there no other way to do this but to reinstall windows? I don't want to loose the data I have on other partitions because I can't back it up.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Can you show us a screen shot of what it shows in Disk Management please.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Are you getting asked at startup which OS you want to use?
If so, then that needs to be fixed first After that gets taken care of then you would be able to delete the XP windows.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How did you install Win7 on the same partition as XP? Normally it will format the partition to install the new OS.