Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer disappeared from Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Something strange happened last night on an older computer I just bought. It has a clean install of Wndows 7 Home Premium and last night it automatically downloaded a bunch of security updates then automatically shut down. This morning when I booted up the Internet Explorer icon was gone from the desktop and no longer in the list of programs under Control Panel. Does anyone know what might have happened? I went to the Microsoft site and tried to download a new copy of Explorer 9 but when I try to install it a popup comes up that says I have a newer version of 9 already installed. When I hit Windows Update under the Start Menu it automatically starts up in Windows Explorer so it must still be on my machine but where the [bleep] is it?

System Info:
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version: 6.1.77601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Computer: Levono Thinkcentre M55 8811GFU 64 bit
Processor: Intel Core 2 [email protected]
Bios: Lenovo 2MKT37AUS, 7/24/2007
SM Bios: 2.4
Memory: 4GB

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Ponyroper

Another software may have replaced IE9 as your default browser and unpinned it from your taskbar, see if the link helps http://windows.micro...rowser#ie=ie-10

The above can happen very easily if you do not check every single update or software download.

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
thanks for your quick answer phill. I tried the microsoft advice but the Internet Explorer app does not come up when I search for it so I can't repin it. Can't figure out why it doesn't show up on a search because when I try to reinstall 9 from the Microsoft site it still pops up that a newer version in already installed. If it's still installed why doesn't it show up on a search?

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Figured out an easier way to get the IE9 icon back on the task bar. Went to the Internet Explorer folder under Programs with Windows Explorer and right clicked on the .exe file. It gave me the opion to pin the IE9 icon to the task bar which I did. Still does not show on the Start Menu but maybe I can figure that out later. When I stated IE9 by left clicking on the .exe file IE9 started and gave me the option to make it the default browser which I did. That did not bring the IE icon back to life on the task bar or Start Menu. I had to left click on the .exe file and pin it that way.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update and the work around Ponyroper :thumbsup:

Lets see if we can find what has caused this odd behavior;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Sorry phill, I couldn't get the Pitstop app to download to my PC. Don't know what the problem is but I tried changing the security settings in Windows and that still didn't work so I gave up. There still is a problem with Windows recognising IE9 as the default browser because every time I open IE9 it asks if I want to make it the default browser but even when I click yes it does not change the setting. When I go to Control Panel to set it as default Control Panel does not have IE9 in it's list of programs to select as default. I can get by this way but would sure like to know what happened to change the setting. Thanks for your suggestion though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
No worries as this may also be browser related.

Can I ask what anti virus software is installed and is Windows 7 up to date.

Have you checked the suggestions @ http://support.micro....com/kb/2409098

One other suggestion would be to remove IE9 altogether, reinstall IE8 then see if you can successfully upgrade to IE9 that way.

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
:thumbsup: No worries as this may also be browser related.

Can I ask what anti virus software is installed and is Windows 7 up to date.

Have you checked the suggestions @ http://support.micro....com/kb/2409098

One other suggestion would be to remove IE9 altogether, reinstall IE8 then see if you can successfully upgrade to IE9 that way.

I have a new install of AVG Free on the PC and the IE9 icon disappeared right after I updated a fresh install of Windows 7 with all the latest security updates. Also, I did check out your microsoft support link but it didn't help. This is my first experience with W7 so I don't know my way around it too well yet. I may figure it out after I get a little more familiar with the OS. I may try the idea of deleting and reinstalling as a last resort. As I said before the workaround works it just bugs me when things are not as they should be, kind of like a sock that won't stay up. :thumbsup: Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
AVG is very good but it does not always play nice, try uninstalling it and installing either Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) or Avast, both are available free, very good and a lot lighter on resources than AVG, also worth checking is has the AVG browser toolbar been installed on your computer.

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I will take your advice and install MSE or Avast. The AVG toolbar is not installed. I try to be sure that add ons from downloaded software are not installed unless they are very usefull. I don't feel I need any help searching for stuff on the web.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
hanks for the update :thumbsup: