Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hidden files in External HDD, Access to folder paths denied when tryin

• Please log in to reply

kienz6

kienz6

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi guys,

I've recently experienced a crash (corrupted hard disk - files rescued etc). This part may be relevant because during file rescue at the Asus centre, the files I could rescue were transferred into an external Seagate Hard disk that is now no longer showing the files that existed prior to this rescue mission.

So, I've got over 600gb of files that are missing when I open the external HDD. But when I tried data recovery with Pandora file recover, I realized the files were just hidden, as they were shown in tact in the Pandora recovery program. So, I then tried to

1. Scan the external hdd with my antivirus (TrendMicro Titanium - didn't work)
2. Use the hdd tool "Error-checking" to see if it could be repaired - nope,
3. go through cmd to unhide those files (as per tech threads online, command given as attrib "-h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*" ),
4. unhide files through Folder Options in Control Panel,

5. Unhide files using Folderfix - this was probably the closest, displaying all the hidden files in the Folderfix panel, but was unable to unhide the files citing the error message 'access to folder paths denied'.

I then followed the direction of a Youtube tut video on how to allow access by entering the Properties of the drive, the Security tab -> Edit -> give permission for NETWORK SERVICES, which ended up in a small window running through all the files of that HDD, stopping at certain files to indicate that permissions for those files could not be obtained. And that's where my adventure ended, as the missing files remain hidden in my treasure trove of an external hdd.

Thus far, these 5 options have failed and I'm looking to see if there's anything else I could try. Is there something I'm missing out? Do let me know what information you may need to diagnose this. Thank you very much!

TGIF,
Jo Kien

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Kienz and welcome to Geeks To Go

Have you tried Recuva to get the files back?

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

kienz6

kienz6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
Thanks for the help! Appreciate it. I got Recuva and tried it a couple of times. But when I tried to recover the files (as in the attached file), all I get are folder shortcuts with no content in them. What do you suggest next?

JK

Attached Thumbnails

• Recuva.jpg

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I'm assuming F: is the faulty hard drive yes?

If so do you have any other drive or drives that you can recover the files to?

kienz6

kienz6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes, F: is the infected drive. I actually attempted to recover them to a folder on my desktop. And that was when I got the folder shortcuts instead of folders with content.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I think the file path is too vague.

Recuva does see F: but not where on F: the files are exactly.

For example you may have had a folder called "My Stuff" so the file path would have to be F:\ My Stuff etc.

Try running it again but be more specific as to the location that you think they were.

Consider looking at the Help Docs for Recuva here also..

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/help

kienz6

kienz6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
I tried specific file paths down to the file level, and tried both the normal and deep scans, but all scans revealed no files. Then I checked using Pandora File Recovery just to be sure - and all the missing files are still intact, but unrecoverable using Pandora because they haven't been deleted. There isn't much on Piriform about hidden files of this sort either. What a sticky one.

JK

kienz6

kienz6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Just wondering, any other options that you may suggest?

JK

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
To be honest Kienz I'm out of ideas on this one mate, however other members may offer their input.

kienz6

kienz6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay man, thanks for trying anyhow! Efforts much appreciated. I'll look around for options in the meantime.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Yes, F: is the infected drive. I actually attempted to recover them to a folder on my desktop. And that was when I got the folder shortcuts instead of folders with content.

In Post number 5 you said the above, did you mean "Infected" or "Affected"?

kienz6

kienz6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Affected, sorry.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The reason I asked is because after consulting my colleagues they thought, by your phrasing, that there may have been some instances of Malware present.

kienz6

kienz6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I see. Well, I did try scanning the drive many times with TrendMicro, but no threats were detected. So I guess it's clean.

kienz6

kienz6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
Just thought I'd update since I managed to find a solution to the problem in the end. After some more searching, and using a combination of Attribute Changer and FreeCommander softwares, I managed to unhide and retrieve all my files using the FreeCommander as a viewer (which displayed all hidden files by default), and the Attribute Change to unhide all the previously hidden folders. Files retrieved! Thanks for the help anyway! Hope this helps someone else in the future.