Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Powerpoint files crashing in Windows 8 but not in XP

• Please log in to reply

Northernman

Northernman

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I have recently been unable to open certain PowerPoints on my windows 8 desktop and get the error message:

"Microsoft PowerPoint has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. WIndows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I have tried all of the options I have found on the web to resolve similar issues including:

- repairing Office
- reinstalling Office
- updating
- removing add-ins
- unchecking Protected View settings
- selective start up
- reinstalling Flash player

The thing that confuses me is that although I have the same problem on my daughter's Windows 8 laptop (see information below) the same files open on my XP laptop without issue so I feel it must be a Windows 8 related issue - any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a teacher and use my desktop for lesson planning so really need to sort this one out.

Many thanks,
Mike

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: POWERPNT.EXE
Application Version: 14.0.6009.1000
Application Timestamp: 4cc1a4ed
Fault Module Name: Flash.ocx
Fault Module Version: 11.6.602.167
Fault Module Timestamp: 510d5c95
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 001fbd53
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:

LCID: 1033
skulcid: 1033

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I can see that the fault module is Flash.ocx - do you have a flash object (a video or animation) embedded in the PowerPoint? Try opening the ppt on your Windows XP laptop and remove the flash object, then try opening with Win 8 again.

Also, some posts I have found indicate that you should install Flash via IE in order to get the right Adobe files... just a long shot, but make sure you're getting the Flash install files from IE and not from the alternative browser of your choice.

Northernman

Northernman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Admiral, thanks for your reply. Yes I do embed Flash animations and video in my lesson PowerPoints and have tried your suggestion of removing them and reopening the files which seems to get around the issue. However, I would really like to keep these files together as they are useful to my teaching.

I have tried reinstalling Flash from the web but wondered whether it might be due to a backwards compatibility issue with Flash and whether there was a way round the problem that would allow me to leave my files intact.

Many thanks for your help
Mike

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
How about embedding the videos using Windows 8? Then they should open fine on both Win 8 and Win XP.

Also, make sure you're using the .pptx and not the .ppt extension.

Northernman

Northernman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi again, I do use the .pptx format and doing what you suggest is an option but it would involve a lot of work as I have a huge number of PowerPoints which I would need to modify, save and then re-embed. I've posted the problem on the Microsoft help forum so perhaps they can sort out this compatibility issue with Flash directly as I'm sure I'm not going to be the only one with problems. Interestingly it did work okay up until last week so I wonder if it's been an update problem.

Thanks for your help :)
Mike

Dwigget

Dwigget

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I'm encountering precisely this same situation with my new Surface Pro 3 running 8.1  It just started yesterday before a presentation I had scheduled.  I had to copy my PPTX to my company laptop running XP to present the PPTX..  I checked and confirmed I have the latest version of Flashplayer for 8.1 on a 64 bit machine.  How were you able to resolve this issue?