Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very slow laptop

• Please log in to reply

tanya80

tanya80

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ35G which came installed with Windows Vista Home Premium and has been upgraded to Windows 7 about 2 months ago. It was working fine but for the last 2 weeks the laptop has become very slow and takes a while to respond to any commands, I have run anti virus, malwarebytes and WinAso registry cleaner but nothing has changed and it is still extremely slow. I think this happened after a sudden laptop shutdown and subsequent disk check. Please help!

Thanks,
Tanya

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello tanya80

Lets start with checking the health of the HDD, see below;

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

tanya80

tanya80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Attached is the screenshot.

Thanks,
Tanya

Attached Thumbnails

• HDD Screenshot.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the screenshot which shows a healthy HDD which is a good start :thumbsup:

A lot to do now so can you do the following for us, once you have post the requested url I will provide some further instructions for you to follow while I check out the test results;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

tanya80

tanya80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. Below is the link:

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25264388

Thanks,
Tanya

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the url and no worries about the time between replies we all have other commitments to take care of :thumbsup:

Please refer to my canned text below but disregard the space on the HDD which we have already addressed;

My next suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD so please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.

Couple of other things to consider are what size HDD do you have and how much free storage space is available, you should always have between 12 and 15% of the overall capacity available, do not have more than 1 AV program running as it causes slowness as the programs fight for control of system resources, this can lead to instability and/or crashes.

What AV do you use, some use a lot more system resources than others Norton and AVG are excellent but very demanding.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box
then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your anti virus software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

Post back when you have completed the above and we can look at a couple of things that I have noted in the PCPitstop results.

tanya80

tanya80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

Attached is the Autoruns file, will do the rest shortly.

Thank you!
Tanya

Attached Files

tanya80

tanya80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

I've done the defrag and TFC...ran msconfig as well but except the basic services I have nothing additional on start-up. My AV is Microsoft Security Essentials. So far no change in the response rate, it is still very slow, it took me 2 mins to type msconfig in the run box as it was so slow in responding! Thank you for all your help so far :) Please advise what do I do next.

Thanks!
Tanya

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello,

Just popped in from work so will not be around for long until I finish for the day later (UK time).

Purely for testing purposes ATM can you uninstall MSE and install Avast free and see if it makes a difference, if not you can reverse the process when you are ready.

tanya80

tanya80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, I will do that now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:thumbsup:

tanya80

tanya80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

I have had MSE from the start and it never caused my laptop to have any issues, you still want me to uninstall it and check? I doubt that is the reason for computer acting up...it only acts up when I try and open a folder to view a file, opening the start menu etc so anything to do with windows functions..it takes a while to open firefox for browsing but once it is open I have no issues within firefox...hope this clarifies what I mean by it being slow :) Let me know how to proceed.

Thanks,
Tanya

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello

Temporarily swapping the AV is a troubleshooting step and as I said previously the change can soon be reversed.

I notice that most of the installed drivers are for Vista, try running DriverMax to see if any Windows 7 upgrades are recommended http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ please note that you can only download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the "install AVG toolbar" box when you set up DriverMax, let us know what if any drivers are suggested before installing please as some are more important than others.

NB: Keep in mind that the age of the HDD itself may be having an affect on performance.