Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 randomly freezes

• Please log in to reply

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Hello everyone,

Since I am running Windows 8 my computer randomly freezes. The screen freezes and if a sound was playing that will freeze as well. This happens approximately 3-5 times a week. I have had this problem with Windows 7 as well a long time ago, but that resolved itself, I guess by an update. Is there any of you geniuses who can help me figure out what causes this problem and more importantly: how to fix it?

GD

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Hello DeZiekeNon

It may be a coincidence that the issue previously happened with W7, it also may not be but keep in mind that hardware issues can also come and go.

Is there a pattern to the freezing as in does it only happen when gaming or downloading data online for example.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Hey Phillpower,

Thank you for your response. To answer your questions:

The freezing happens when I'm playing Starcraft II most of the time, but not exclusively.

I have a custom built PC with the following specifications:
Motherboard: Asus M4a79T Deluxe (AM3, 970FX)
Memory: GeIl 2x2 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel kit (4 GB total)
Graphics Card: XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB DDR5 Dual fan
HD's: WD Velociraptor 150 GB (10000 RPM SATAII), WD Raptor 150 GB (10000 RPM SATA), Samsung HD103UJ ATA 1TB. (I use the WD's for Windows, gaming and software, the Samsung for data such as video's, pictures and documents)
PSU: Zalman ZM850-HP (850 Watt)
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition (3,4Ghz) (quad-core)
Case: Coolermaster CM690

Further I have 9 high quality fans installed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

We should first check the temps and voltages and then the health of the HDDs;

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.
Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Here the screenshots you requested. I don't think the freezes are related to temperatures though.

Attached Thumbnails

• DiskManagement.JPG
  • Speedfan.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
HDDs look ok but the CPU usage is very high as is one of the +12V rails on the PSU, was the test done when the computer was idle.

Please run HWMonitor and provide a screenshot so that we have a comparison to Speedfan http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Feel free to uninstall Speedfan at your leisure.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I had both apllications already installed on my PC, no reason to unitstall either. The computer was idle, except for maybe a low quality video paused in VLC, I am not sure. Here the HWmonitor screenshot. My idle CPU usage normally is 25-30%.

Attached Thumbnails

• HWmonitor.JPG

Edited by DeZiekeNon, 07 April 2013 - 09:30 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
The CPUs maximum TDP is 125W but your results are showing 131W, the maximum V Core is 1.4V and your results show 1.42V - 1.43V, the latter is marginally higher than what it should be (still not good) but the TDP excess is cooking the CPU.

Has the computer ever been overclocked in any way.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
It has never been overclocked.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Good to no O/Cing :thumbsup:

As the system has not been manually overclocked two things may explain the high voltage and CPU usage, a flaky PSU or a third party software changing the settings, this also includes malware BTW so you may need the help of the staff over on Malware Removal.

To see if it is a bad MB setting boot into the BIOS and restore the factory default settings, save and exit.
Run the tests again and see if the readings are the same and let us know.

Advertisements

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I have reset the BIOS settings to the default factory settings. The power still reads 131 W unfortunately. I don't think I have a malware problem, because I run NOD32 antivirus and never download any suspicious files. Still I can't say for certain ofcourse.

Attached Thumbnails

• temps.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

You will note that the CPU usage is now showing 26% which is better but still high if the computer is idle.

I am still wary of the present PSU because of the earlier readings so if you could borrow one for testing purposes it would help to rule it in or out as the cause.

See if the following reduces the CPU usage;

Go to START ->
type MSCONFIG in the Search box
then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your Anti Virus software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

Check your CPU usage when done.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Thanks for your reply.

I don't know if I can find a test PSU on short notice. I will if I can though. I always keep a clean startup. However, I have some software I do want to run at startup. There is one application which runs at startup that has my doubts, the "AMD dual-core Optimizer". I thought this was a good thing, but I'm not really sure what it is. Should I disable this one? Are there other things that I could do to diagnose the problem?

Please note that I am running Windows 8, which no longer has the startup options under msconfig, but under the startup tab of the task manager.

Edit: I just thought of this, I can just see which applications are responsible for the processor load. WD File Management Engine is responsible for 25% of the 26% processor load. I run a WD Mybook Live NAS, which this application has something to do with, but I am not sure what it does exactly and if it is necessary that it runs continuously. If I would disable that, then my processor load is 1-3%

Edited by DeZiekeNon, 08 April 2013 - 10:36 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Thanks for the additional details and you are welcome :thumbsup:

"AMD dual-core Optimizer".

Uninstall this as you do not need it, it has been installed alongside another program (most likely a game).

Go into Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program and remove it there, see if this makes a difference and let us know.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I uninstalled "AMD dual-core Optimizer". I also disabled the WD file engine. These are the speedfan and HWmonitor results of my pc idle now:
(I guess something was running, because my idle cpu usage is 0-3%, while speedfan shows 17.9%)

Attached Thumbnails

• temps.JPG

Edited by DeZiekeNon, 09 April 2013 - 08:58 AM.