Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some windows 7 problems

• Please log in to reply

TeaSama

TeaSama

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay so the first problem I am having is that when I try to watch netflix on my laptop it keeps telling me to install javs or sliverlight. I do what it says and it still keeps telling me to install the correct plugin. I have tried firefox, internet explorer, and google chrome. Tomorrow when I get a chance I'm going to factory reset the browsers just to make sure. I have another windows computer, its a netbook and I believe it is either vista or 7. I can tell you more tomorrow when I get home. Ive looked up the problem before but the forums I found weren't very helpful. The bigger lap top runs eveything else fine, I can even play diablo on it with the best graphic with no problem at all. Its judt odd that it wouldn't let me do something as simple as stream a movie (because star craft 2 and dialblo to me seems more complex) if anyone can answer whats going on that would be fantastic. The second problem I am having or I guess I cant figure out how to do is moving some games over to a flash drive or external harddrive. If anyone could just teach me the basics that would be awesome becausr I hate having my computer cluttered with things I can easily keep on a flash drive and file it away for when I actually decide to play. If you need more information I will be able to give it to you tomorrow when I finally get home :D please and thank you for your help in advance :lol:

Advertisements

N-R

N-R

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hello TeaSama

I would uninstall all Java versions 1st make sure you get rid of old and new link below.
http://www.java.com/...derversions.xml

Then install the latest version of Java from here
http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Also update your browser's
chrome update link
http://support.googl...en&answer=95414
IE link
http://windows.micro...ternet-explorer

Make sure you have the latest version of silverlight and remove the old one 1st
How to remove silverlight link below
http://www.microsoft...nstall-win.aspx
New version link for silverlight below
http://www.microsoft...ll/default.aspx

Then clear your history, Cache and Cookies from whatever browser you are using and restart your computer and give it a go. Sometimes old versions of things left on even with the new version can cause things to not work quite correctly.

Hope that helps Nick

TeaSama

TeaSama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay I'm giving it a go but already I think I'm going to have problems because my computer is giving me an error with both silver light and java. I will post a picture tomorrow morning about what it is doing. Its 2 am and my comouter is currently updating.

TeaSama

TeaSama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok yeah I did all of that. Cleared everything and I am still getting this when I install both of these program. So now not only does silver light not work but now java doesn't :( I even ran a cmd when I uninstalled silver light.

reg delete HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Silverlight /f
reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\{D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100} /f
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\{D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100} /f
reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{283C8576-0726-4DBC-9609-3F855162009A} /f
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\install.exe /f
reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AgControl.AgControl /f
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{89F4137D-6C26-4A84-BDB8-2E5A4BB71E00} /f
rmdir /s /q "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Silverlight"
rmdir /s /q "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Silverlight"

So rightnow I'm at a complete lose. I have java 32 and 64 bit on my computer and I have chrome, IE, and firefox and it does the same thing on all browsers. So now I'm wondering if I have to factory reset everything or what.

Attached Thumbnails

• error code.png
  • java error.png

Electrobrandino

Electrobrandino

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Just a shot in the dark, but are you logged on as an administrator? Did you try Right-Clicking the java and silverlight installers and try Run as administrator?

TeaSama

TeaSama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am the only profile on my computer but I will try that when I get home :) and I will post results as well. Thank you.

TeaSama

TeaSama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok this is what I get when I try to run windows silverlight as the administrator
runningasadministrater.png

TeaSama

TeaSama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
and then when I uninstall and reinstall the program and run it as admin it does this:
installedasadmin.png

Edited by TeaSama, 02 May 2013 - 10:30 PM.

TeaSama

TeaSama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey everyone update. Finally got it fixed. Broke down and called geek squad and got the year protection or whatever and they took a look. Turns out for some reason everytime I downloaded it I wasn't getting permission to access the files even though I was the admin. So we went into the file and made it to where I had access and so did everyone else. Now I am finally able to watch Netflix during class. Also I fixed java myself :)