Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win Vista, unable to boot up computer

• Please log in to reply

jojobo36

jojobo36

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Good Evening,
Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post. I am having problems with my computer and need some help.
We were changing our home office around, After the computer was hooked up again and turned on, it was taking a very long time for the computer to load, It appeared to be frozen. I couldn't do anything but to shut it down with the power button. After waiting a couple minutes, turned the computer back on, while waiting to load, a window popped up stating my computer can not start. Then asked me if I would like to Repair (recommended) or start windows normally. I chose Repair. It scanned for quite sometime, restarted a couple times..After sometime a window appeared stating windows cannot repair computer. Go to system restore (recommended) so I did. During this process, Start up repair window came up stating "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically. Click finish to exit and shut down computer". It also gave me the option to send info about the problem to Microsoft. Then, the computer shuts down. This message now comes up every time the computer is turned on. However,

I did create a AVG Rescue CD and loaded it on the sick computer. The scan came back with no viruses/malware found. It did state 1 error was found though, but did not give me the option to view what error it was.

I also installed Farbar Recovery Scan tool and scanned the sick computer. The log from that scan is attached.

Thank you so much for your time. very much appreciated!!
Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Attached File  FRST.txt   15.61KB   151 downloads

Advertisements

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
:( :bashhead: :killcomp: :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello jojobo36

Do you have a Vista or system restore disk for the computer.

Are you ok with working inside the computer as something inside the case may have come loose while the computer was being moved around.

Just so that you are aware, if the computer was jolted or banged while being moved around the HDD may have been damaged.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Thank you so much for taking my cries for help :thumbsup:

Yes, I have the operating system re-installation CD and I have the driver and utilities re-installation CD.

Yes, I have no problem checking the inside of the PC out.

I understand about jarring the computer and what kind of damage it can cause. I don't think that is the case. We were very careful and aware of how careful to be when moving. But, I do understand it can take the slightest jarring to knock it out. I'm just hoping that's not the case.

Before this happened, this computer was very hard to boot anyway. Sometimes the message I'm receiving now would show up but I would have to bypass the (recommended) things to do and just start windows normally instead of letting windows try to fix it. Then the computer would boot normally. I was not here when the computer was turned back on, my husband didn't know not to choose the recommended scans when the errors popped up, and the computer hasn't booted since. Before this I would only re-boot the computer once a week for update purposes because of being to scared of it not booting up again.

Dell Inspiron 531S (desktop)
AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual-Core 4000+
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
Catalog number: 29 DDCWGA2
the label on the computer states:
Window Vista Home Basic
DELL
(barcode)
0CT364
00144-333-159-015
(barcode)
then a product key number. I don't see anything with a series number or model number on it. :(

Thanks again for your time!
jojo

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
See if you have the Dell diagnostic utility installed by restarting the computer and tapping the F12 key.

Is there important data on the HDD that you would like to try and secure before continuing.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

When hitting F12, The boot Menu comes up, asks me to select a boot first device
- Hard disc
- CDROM

YES!! very important data we need to recover if possible. We need our quicken files and Excel files if possible?? Also, not important but if pictures and/or email would be great but not necessary.

Thanks again,
JoJo

Edited by jojobo36, 08 May 2013 - 08:52 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello jojobo36

Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

To recover your data please see below;

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-520.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives[list]
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Note that there might be some other Puppy distros on the page (such as Slacko Puppy), but you need Lucid Puppy (lupu), the Ubuntu-based one. Always make sure you start downloading a file that starts with "lupu"!

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Before I begin.. When downlading the two files. Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-520.iso) and BurnCDCC.
Since I have to do all this on a different computer. Do I download Puppy Linux on to the CD instead of my desktop? so it can be used on the sick computer? And BurnCDCC does that get installed on the good computer and just extract the files to the CD?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

And BurnCDCC does that get installed on the good computer and just extract the files to the CD?

Correct, download both to the good computer and then burn Puppy to disk on the good computer and you are good to go.

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

When opening BurnCDCC with IE, tons of windows keep opening and opening and does not stop? I had to shut down computer in order for it to stop! Is this suppose to happen??

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi

No that should not happen!

Try another reputable source http://www.majorgeek...s/burncdcc.html
Please disregard any other information at the link.

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
The exact thing happened. It appears to be copying all may files. A bunch of windows pop up, then disappear, then re-appear, disappear.. Non stop. It never asks me to extract files to any specific folder. It just starts running or something.
Does Active ISO burner work for what we are trying to do? I have used that program before and appeared to work?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Very strange :unsure:

Active ISO is fine :thumbsup: http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Ok, I now have the lucid puppy up on the sick computer. I clicked on mount(instructions 3a). When window opened it gave me 3 choices to mount:
sda1 vfat 47M
sda2 ntfs 10.0G
sda3 ntfs 222.8G

I just want to make sure I click on the right one? I'm guessing it is the 222.8G?

Edited by jojobo36, 09 May 2013 - 04:37 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello jojobo36

I just want to make sure I click on the right one? I'm guessing it is the 222.8G?

That is all of your personal data correct.

If you have the resources I would mount each drive/partition individually in case there is an underlying issue with one.

I may not be back online until Saturday am UK time but will check back asap, meanwhile your topic is being kept an eye on by our good colleagues and so there will be no delay in you receiving a reply.