Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win Vista, unable to boot up computer

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Will the computer boot into Windows now.

The drivers for your computer are not on the Vista disk that is the OS only and the drivers would have originally been provided on a separate Dell utilities disk, no matter that you may not have the disk now as they may all be out of date now.

Print off or write down the driver installation order, create a system restore point, allow Dell to automatically find your service tag number if you do not know it http://www.dell.com/...fkey=Drivers_PS, download the drivers and install them in the correct order as required.

Advertisements

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Yes, the computer booted into windows ;)

I do have the seprate CD it is called Drivers and Utilities

Edited by jojobo36, 11 May 2013 - 04:42 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
I will leave completion's of the repair to my colleagues but the 2 links below may enable you to see if your DATA is accessible.
> http://www.intuit.co...CFYsm6wodJSwAFg
Restricted to 20 customers, > http://www.ehow.com/...rsonal-use.html

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Thanks iammykyl :thumbsup:

jojobo36

How is the computer running now.

Can you go into the Device Manager and check if there are any yellow ! or red Xs present.

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I am having troubles with installing the drivers. When going to the link provided. It will not detect my service tag. I then manually entered the service tag and it said unable to confirm the service tag.

So the drivers still haven't been re-installed.

the device Manager looks good.

Thanks

Thanks for the tips iammykyl ;)

Edited by jojobo36, 12 May 2013 - 01:53 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
As the Device Manager looks ok we may be almost done :thumbsup:

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I got the service tag to work. I am now installing all the drivers. I will run the PCPitstop when they are complete.

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

It is getting late here so I am going offline but will check back as soon as I can tomorrow.

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Ok. Thanks for all your help.. Good night!

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Here is the URL from pitstop.. http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25326297

I can't figure out how to import my favorites from my flash drive, along with a few other files.

Edited by jojobo36, 12 May 2013 - 10:01 PM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Connect the flash drive Jo.

Make a folder in say My Documents or the Desktop and name it.

Go into the flash drive and click Edit / Select All regarding your files and then click Cut.

Go back into the previously made folder and click Paste.

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

I managed to get the quicken program re-installed on the computer. When we installed the file (home files) with all the data back into quicken, It only had the numbers, totals of everything. All the accounts had N/A. We have no way of knowing what is what. :upset: The business files were fine!

Excel, We can open it and use our files from the flash drive. But we still are getting errors, so as of right now we will have to keep saving our changes to the flash drive until its figured out. When opening Excel I get error "One of your object libraries (stdole32.tlb) is missing or damaged. Please run setup to install." When I run the setup I get error "Setup can't access the the required initialization file F:\micros~1\office\setup\acmsetup.exe" (F is my flash drive)

New update for Windows Vista Service P1 keeps coming up even after I installed it. If installing again it will say system already up to date. How do you get this to go away?

transferring my Favorites back onto pc. When doing what Wolf said in last post. I didn't even have a edit or a select all.. But, When I saved the file from the sick computer I saved the whole favorites file. Inside that file I have many more files breaking down the categories of the saved bookmarks. Do I need to go into each one of those categories, select all, then save those onto the fixed pc? whatever I keep trying does not work.

Thanks so much for all your time in helping me.

JoJo

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Select the folder in the flash drive and right click on it and click Cut, go into My Documents, right click and click Paste Jo.

Run the Office executable file when it and all your other files are back on the main machine.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

New update for Windows Vista Service P1 keeps coming up even after I installed it. If installing again it will say system already up to date. How do you get this to go away?

It could be that windows Update is not detecting SP1 or part of the update failed to install. Try running the tool from the link below.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Thanks so much for all your help. Computer is up and running.

You guys are great!! Simply the best!! :thumbsup:

JoJo