Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After Restore Prev. Date, Outlook works but Not Websites

• Please log in to reply

dee71

dee71

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
:help:
1. Windows7 / 64 bit / IE9 I think / ISP Comcast.
2. I clicked on Home Network in order to share my printer with daughters Windows 8 laptop.
3. Then I noticed that computers had to be the same OS & there was no way to cancel it.
4. So I went to "System Restore" & selected a previous date. Said restore point completed.
5. I went to my email "Outlook" & it was fine & mail coming into inbox just fine. Then I noticed my problem....
6. When I clicked on Google or Comcast or Facebook or anything on the internet....None of the webpages would open!!! Said "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. Nothing else seems to be wrong but internet won't open webpages. I then went back to "System Restore" & clicked "Undo". It put computer back to today, but still no internet to open webpages & I'm still receiving my mail in my "Outlook" inbox just like always.
7. I called Comcast & they said "I was connected! Comcast has an "Easy Solve" so I did that which told me how to reset the modem. I did, but still can't view webpages even though the icon on the lower right of my computer says "I am connected to Internet".
I've tried all the simple diagnostics that I felt comfortable doing. On one Diagnostic that I ran said that Norton installation had failed. I have Norton that is a complementary download from Comcast that was downloaded a year ago. Seems strange, but would that cause the internet not to open webpages???
I'm far from being a techy person so simple instructions appreciated. I don't know what else to try. Thanks in advance, for any suggestions!!

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Dee :welcome:

Do you have other browser installed beside Internet Explorer (Firefox, Google chrome, etc.)?
In case you have can you test if the problem only affects IE?

Lets create a report using MiniToolBox
Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.
Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Devices (Only Problems)
Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Sleepy Dude, thanks for your reply, but I can't download the Mini Toolbox. I'm working on my husbands computer since IE won't open any webpages on my computer.
I only have IE browser & I couldn't download Google Chrome to try your first suggestion since IE won't open any webpages.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi Sleepy Dude, thanks for your reply, but I can't download the Mini Toolbox. I'm working on my husbands computer since IE won't open any webpages on my computer.
I only have IE browser & I couldn't download Google Chrome to try your first suggestion since IE won't open any webpages.

Ok, but can't you transfer MiniToolbox from the working computer to the other one using a USB flash drive?

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Nope, that's not working. I tried to put mini tool bar / Reimage onto USB flash drive but It didn't work or I don't know how to do it correctly. Probably the latter! :confused: Thanks for your time & your suggestions, but I guess I'll have to get someone around here to fix it this time. :surrender: Thanks again!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Nope, that's not working. I tried to put mini tool bar / Reimage onto USB flash drive but It didn't work or I don't know how to do it correctly. Probably the latter! :confused: Thanks for your time & your suggestions, but I guess I'll have to get someone around here to fix it this time. :surrender: Thanks again!

What is Reimage???

Can you explain why you can't get the MiniToolbox util on the flash drive?

• On the working computer start the web browser and access this site, locate your topic and then click the link http://www.bleepingc...itoolbox/dl/65/ you don't have to click nothing on the page a pop-up should appear asking if you want to save the file MiniToolBox.exe accept and safe it to the usb flash drive.
  • Remove the flash drive and plug it on the "sick computer", locate and run the MiniToolbox util, save the generated report to the flash drive.
  • On the working computer open the MiniToolBox.txt file then copy & paste all the text to your post.

If you don't want to use MiniToolbox and want to give up on a last try you can do this.
Make sure you have the information needed to reinstall Norton, uninstall Norton an check if the problem is gone, then reinstall Norton.

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

dee71

dee71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hallelujah!!! Sleepy Dude, It's fixed!! :) I didn't see your last reply until I came to let you know it's fixed! I decided to take a chance on the "Norton has failed" note I had seen. I uninstalled Norton & then installed it again....Thank heavens finally an easy fix after 2 days of trying to figure out what happened!!
Oh...BTW The Reimage???, It was a download that I saw when I went to the "Mini Tool Box". I had heard of it before so I downloaded it since it was on the same page that said "Mini Tool Box" on bleepingcomputer.com. By your reply, that apparently was not the right one! Anyway, I didn't need it after all. Thanks so much for your help!! Hopefully I won't have any more issues for a long time, but If I do I'm glad that I found this website & the intelligent volunteers who are here to help others in need!!! :thumbsup: I really appreciated your help!! (my earlier 10:54 am & 11:08 am replies are duplicates, my mistake).

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Dee,

Good that everything went well and the problem is solved :thumbsup:

It was a pleasure to help.

Regards.