Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble with dual boot Win7 / Winxp pro

• Please log in to reply

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hello,

Well I had to format my HD so in the process I am attempting to set up my computer to dual boot into Win 7 and Win XP pro. I first installed Win XP pro, set up some additional partitions, then installed Win 7 in a different partition. Everything was OK at that point. I was able to boot into Both versions. I went back into Win 7 and started to install all the updates, drivers, etc. When I tried to boot back into XP I was not able to and got the following message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I attempted to repair hal.dll from the command promt in Windows 7 using the expand command and copying it from the Windows XP install disk to the system32 file in my Windows XP partition. (Hopefully I didnt screw anything up by doing that.) Well that did not work and I am still getting the same message when I attempt to boot into XP. I figured I would look for some help on here rather than try something else that might make things worse.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
From a Windows 7 Elevated Command Prompt, run chkdsk /r against the XP boot partition.

Look in Computer on Windows 7 to see what the drive letter for XP is. If for exam-ple. it's E: then you would enter

chkdsk e: /r

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I ran chkdsk /r and it came back that chkdsk found no problems. Got the same error message when I tried to boot into XP.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you run it against the correct drive though? What was the actual command you entered?

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Coincidentally, I have XP installed on my e drive just like your example so the command I entered was exactly like your example. chkdsk e: /r

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, thanks.

I wonder if it could be a messed up boot.ini? See if you can fix it, see here: How To Repair or Replace Boot.ini in Windows XP

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
That did the trick and I was able to boot back into Windows XP!! Yay!!! Do you have a recommended way to get rid of the incorrect boot option that shows up now when I boot up and have it boot directly into the boot option that works?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Control Panel, System.
Advanced tab.
Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
Click the Edit button.

Look at the default line, will be something like this:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

Now remove the line under Operating Systems that does not match it.
Press Ctrl+S or click File then Save.

That should do it.

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Well that was kind of scarry, but I did it and it worked. Thank you again. Unfortunately, starting another thread with another problem re. PCI Controller. Frazzled here, but seem to be taking baby steps toward getting up and running again.

Thank you ZTruker

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I posted a link to this thread in your new one along with some info.