Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update not working

• Please log in to reply

DaisyMay2013

DaisyMay2013

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My windows update will not work. When I bring it up it says the service is not started, but in the services list is says it is. I tried to set a BITS binpath as suggested on Windows support but was denied because it said the service already existed. Please help! Thank you so much in advance!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: DaisyMay2013

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

DaisyMay2013

DaisyMay2013

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am on an HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Let me know if you need anything else! Thanks for the quick reply!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Can I ask if you recall making any changes or installing any updates before this started.

Try a system restore point that is before the issues started http://windows.micro.../system-restore

Please do the following for us please;

Go to Start then to Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

DaisyMay2013

DaisyMay2013

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Nothing new done. No restore point to go to when I got it from my uncle for free(wonder why? LOL). I am embarrassed to say this but I cannot get a screenshot. I have tried Alt prt sc in every possible combo, caps lock on, caps lock off, num lock on, num lock off and all combos in between. It will not put anything on the clipboard. Now, no matter what combo I use it just goes up in the page (up to the next level, like back in file). Help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
No worries we will try another approach, please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

DaisyMay2013

DaisyMay2013

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for making that easier. I was pulling my hair out over the scrnshot, LOL. Here is the link:

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25345012

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the url :thumbsup:

I will check the test results in a couple of hours when I finish work but in the meanwhile can I ask you to check when the last updates were successfully installed and what they were please.

DaisyMay2013

DaisyMay2013

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi. I just installed SP1 this morning, I thought in it might help but it didn't. It installed successfully but through the web download, not through Windows Update. There are many updates listed, but it looks like the last successful update was in May of 2012. All updates are listed as installed previous to that date. I didn't even notice until a friend pointed out I was running IE8 and I couldn't update. They were security updates. But I can't seem to get a screen shot, sorry. I looked it up on my help and support and it said to just use prt sc, but that didn't work either? Argh!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello DaisyMay2013

Just a thought, as you have only just received this computer you may not have important data on the HDD, if this is correct you may be able to save yourself a lot of time and stress by using the Recovery Partition which is intended to revert the computer back to the same state that it was when it left the factory.

If this is an option for you please see http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c01867418

Advertisements

DaisyMay2013

DaisyMay2013

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I do already have some stuff on there for work so I'd rather not do that if possible. Isn't there anything else we can try?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
It was only a thought so that you could resolve the issue more quickly.

Have you tried "Microsoft Fix it" http://windows.micro...talling-updates

NB: You could back up your data to a USB stick and then use the Recovery partition if you wanted to.

EDIT:

Just spotted something in your Pitstop results, can you do the following for us please;

Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

Click Advanced System Settings. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Under Performance, click Settings.

Click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.

Edited by phillpower2, 05 June 2013 - 10:34 AM.
Additional information added

DaisyMay2013

DaisyMay2013

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did. I just tried for the 3rd time. Every time it runs it says it fixed components and all else is good. Then when I try to run it, it says the service isn't running, but in the services list it is. That's why I tried to change the Binpath. Was supposed to be a guaranteed fix, LOL. I don't have a stick. :( I don't have much of anything but a laptop my uncle gave me a few months ago. Like I said, I didn't notice until someone pointed out that my IE was wrong. It did it automatically so...

Posted before edit....

Edited by DaisyMay2013, 05 June 2013 - 10:39 AM.

DaisyMay2013

DaisyMay2013

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry for the senior moment, LOL. I did what you asked and tried Windows Update and still have the same problem. :( I hope there was a part 2!

Edited by DaisyMay2013, 05 June 2013 - 10:49 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Allow Microsoft to configure the settings with Fix it http://support.micro...kb/981374/en-us

Suggested in the PCPitstop results;

1.Start Internet Explorer
2.Select Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
3.Under HTTP 1.1 settings check both Use HTTP 1.1 and Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connection.
Even if you do not use a proxy connection it does not hurt to have that checked. Potential future connections of the internet through a proxy will benefit from this change.
4.Click OK to accept the changes.