Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can You Please Delete My Account?

• Please log in to reply

anon5

anon5

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Dear Administrators of Geekstogo,

Could you please delete my account?
I made this account 5 years ago. But I don't use this account anymore.
Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

anon5

anon5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I only want to delete this account, because I am not active on Geekstogo.
So could you please delete my account?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I have made enquiries with the Administrators

anon5

anon5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you Wolfeymole. :)

And just to let you know that I think that Geekstogo is a great place.
Once more again, I only want to delete my account here because I am not active on Geekstogo. This has nothing to do with the site itself.
I just hope you understand.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Apparently you have had a PM from Dsenette over this matter.
You're welcome by the way. :)

anon5

anon5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That's right, but he didn't wanted to delete my account. So that's why I asked again, and he didn't responded anymore.
And that's why I now ask again in public.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well unfortunately only the Administrators can delete accounts and I thought your request to be perfectly reasonable.

I am but a small fish in a large pond

anon5

anon5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
What can I do? :(

I really do not like to have inactive accounts. :upset:
Can someone help me?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Only a Admin can delete your account and as Wolf has stated the request to have them take a look at the account has been placed in action.
Wolf if you receive no response today you may want to pm Sari or dsenette and see if they can help. :thumbsup:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I have politely requested assistance from the site Owner via PM yesterday Ron.

Advertisements

anon5

anon5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
If it's still possible, I would like to have my account deleted. :unsure:
If there is some information needed before you can delete my account, please just ask.
Administrators of Geekstogo, could you please delete my account?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Under normal situations a account is not deleted but remains inactive. Since there is no personal info on the profile there is no risk of anything being stolen. The admin only delete or ban a account for certain reasons which honestly because you don't use it is not a reason to delete it. The benefit is that nobody else can log on using your name possibly creating a problem for yourself. The admin are aware of your request but I don't see anything but the account being inactive as the resolution at this point.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
At the time of writing this post I have still not received any reply to my PM to the owner regarding this matter.

Although my most valued colleague Rshaffer states that there is no personal info on your profile there still remains the aspect that the admin retain your email address and IP address.

When I was administrator of a forum (not this one) I willingly granted a given member the right to have his account deleted.

Have you ever watched The Shawshank Redemption?

If not, do so, as you may wish to contemplate Brooks Hatlen's dilemma as a comparison to this scenario.

Wolfey.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Volunteers donate their time here to help others. In part because their help extends beyond the person they are helping, to others who may have the same issue. If people are helped and then remove their topics, we might as reply one-to-one. If we help one-to-one, we might as well reply via email. If we're to reply via email, we might as well close the forum.

For example, you created an account 5 years ago, and started a couple of topics. One of those topics has over 3,000 views. Not insignificant. This is a "community bulletin board". The content exists to be seen by all. 90% of people find this site via search engine. Probably from a topic posted by someone else. Our terms of use is very clear on this issue:

If you do post or otherwise submit questions, answers feedback, or any other content, and unless we indicate otherwise, you grant Geeks to Go and its affiliates a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content throughout the world in any media.

We do honor requests to remove private information (such as surnames) when requested. We proactively remove email addresses, physical addresses, and other personally identifiable information. I do not see any personal information contained in your topics, so haven't had any sense of urgency to respond. I will do here what I've done in the past when someone is misinformed about privacy, and insists their account be removed. I'll change the username/password, remove the email address/avatar/signature. IP addresses do remain in our database, as they do every site you access online. They are not personally identifiable. Your account will no longer be accessible, or recoverable by you. There is no way for us or anyone else to connect it to you. The content will remain, and continue to help others.

acastars

acastars

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I would also like to get my account deleted,at least I require changing my username.