Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 OS and Recovery Disk Boot Loop - STUCK AT STARTING WINDOWS

• Please log in to reply

tedwerbel

tedwerbel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just recently built my new gaming rig with 4ssd's and a HD. I had one ssd from my old desktop with win 7 already installed and another ssd that I installed windows 7 on since I built my rig. I recently tried to format my older os on my second ssd to use as storage. However I was not able to do so within windows 7 on my new ssd since it said it had been a system drive.

Upon doing some reasearch, I found out that I had to unplug all other drives from my system except for my main is ( the one I'm keeping) and then use a windows 7 recovery disk to repair the startup. I booted into my disk, immediately was notified that a problem had been discovered, then I continued the repair. Upon restarting the windows is loaded up perfectly. I then proceeded to plug the rest of my drives in and viola! The endless boot loop began. I tried to boot into my os..... no luck. I got as far as "starting windows" and no logo ever appeared. My system simply turned off then seconds later turned back on. I then tried to run the repair again, however I was once again set into a boot loop but for my recovery disk.....starting windows, turn off, seconds later back on. Its endless and I cannot pin point the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You may need to format your drives using a third party program to wipe clean the drives. In your earlier formating of your old win 7 ssd drive aome of win 7 boot sector might still be there causing windows to not be able to boot when all the drives are connected.

1. Download the DBAN boot image ZIP file http://www.dban.org/download , a floppy disk builder is also available
2. Extract the contents of the compressed file.
3. Burn the ISO image file extracted in Step 2 to CD; or use the built-in ISO CD image burning support in Windows 7. If you downloaded the floppy image builder, run the program to create a bootable floppy disk.
4. Restart the computer using the CD or floppy disk created in Step 3.
5. Press Enter to run DBAN in interactive mode.
6. Use up and down arrow keys to highlight the drive to wipe.
7. Press the space bar to select the drive.
8. Press M to select the wiping method.
9. Press F10 to begin the wipe process.
10. At the end of the process, shut down the system. You can reuse or recycle the wiped hard disk.

Note: if DBAN is unable to recognize your SATA hard disks, configure your system BIOS to use IDE mode rather than AHCI mode. Also to be safe I would unplug the SSD with your running Win 7 set-up when using DBAN so to be sure not to erase your boot SSD.

Also note that some motherboards have troubles running ssd's and HD together unless the HD is plugged in a specific sata port so verify your motherboard manual for any instruction needed.

Hope that helps