Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good old BSODs

• Please log in to reply

teokk

teokk

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, guys. I just registered here to ask you for help. I've been reading around the forum due to my problem and you seem like a very friendly, knowledgeable bunch, so where better to seek assistance.

A week or so ago I've started experiencing infrequent BSODs while playing DOTA 2 (haven't played much else, so I wouldn't know if they occur in different games). I've also watched a bunch of TV shows and movies. It seems that they only occur while gaming. I'm not sure if they happened enough times (7-8) to be absolutely certain it's due to playing a game but as far as i know, it never happened outside of it. The first time it happened I had plenty of time (they tend to do a long memory dump, around 10 seconds) to read atidiag.sys or something similar.

I figured it must be my GPU drivers causing it (AMD Radeon 6950) so I went to check for drivers (it took me 5-6 days to finally commit to doing this, since I just shrugged off the BSODs at first) and sure enough, there were brand new ones, which I installed yesterday (I think, maybe the day before yesterday). Everything was running "hiccupless" until it crashed again half an hour ago, however, the culprit this time was tcpip.sys, which to me indicates some network hardware error unrelated to my GPU.

Though I have decent knowledge of computers, things like these vary a lot and don't have any general solutions I could look up. So I figured instead of searching the internet and trying to apply other people's solutions, I'd just humbly ask the help of experts.

Anyway, to provide some more detail:

The game just freezes up instantly, and the screen gets sheared with multicolored noise lines, then a second or two later, I'm taken to the BSOD screen, where it hangs for 8-12 seconds and finally restarts.

My PC is otherwise running perfectly, no malware, spyware or anything of the sort (this is well inside my comfort zone, unlike reading BSOD dumps, so you can take my word for it).

CPU, GPU, motherboard temperatures are around 40-50 degrees, with CPU peaking at 80 and the GPU at 85 (with the fan never over 80%), despite the fact that it's gotten really hot here.

Finally, I only have a single crash dump (the latest, tcpip one), since I thought I'd solve my problems with updating the GPU's drivers, and because those stupid things are so sensitive, I prefer to use CCleaner as an extra precation after using driver sweeper and AMD's own removal software, so I've deleted the old dumps in the process.

I've compressed the file to a rar, not sure if that's a necessity.

Looking forward to any replies, thanks a lot in advance!

EDIT 1: Just had another one, this one had no .sys file written. I'll upload the log in a reply as soon as someone posts a reply (so as not to bump this).

Attached Files

Edited by teokk, 16 June 2013 - 05:57 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:welcome:
Firts off a explanation of the error code you attached.

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

I'm going to approach this first from the memory aspect.

A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

teokk

teokk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks a lot for the reply! I had already ran 2 memtests prior to your reply, and both of the times everything was in order. I figured I'd go look for screwy bios settings, at which point I thought, why wouldn't I just updated the bios? So I flashed a newer one and for god knows what reason, everything's been running fine since then. It's only been hours, though, so nothing is yet conclusive, but I'd say the problem's been solved (have no idea why, though). Once more, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It could be the bios update added a new feature to the system allowing for better communication with the chipsets. Yes I agree to soon to say for sure so I will continue to monitor this topic for a couple of days and for a update from you on how everything is running. If not we will continue on to the next step of checking the system. Thanks for updating us with your progress so far.

teokk

teokk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright, in the spirit of updating; everything is still running perfectly, haven't had any hiccups thus far. I guess another day and we can call it resolved.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would agree and BTW that was great investigative work on your part. The bios would have been the last bit of hardware I would have suggested updating so you did really good finding that so quickly. :thumbsup:

teokk

teokk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'd hardly call it investigative work, I just updated it since from my experience sometimes the strangest solutions turn out to be the right ones and I figured I had nothing to lose by updating it. So it was more of a coincidence. Anyway it's still running fine, so you may lock the thread I guess or whatever you do for closure. Thanks a lot for the help :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am glad to hear it is running correctly for you and even happier to say Congratulations teokk. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible