Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

smart phone for international travel

• Please log in to reply

tomlev

tomlev

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Maybe I'm not going to find something to meet my needs, but...
I am a US resident and travel internationally about 6 or 8 weeks a year, mostly for pleasure. I have a US iPhone and can use it with wifi when traveling which is fine. But I'm looking for ideas about a moderately priced smartphone that I can slip a SIM card into and use as a smartphone when traveling -- not really for the phone but for the tourist type apps.
For example, in Goteborg a few weeks ago, the transit system has a tram signtseeing guide. This one was really optimized to use the GPS functions of the iPhone so it worked without either wifi or a phone data connection. But in many places, these kinds of apps seem only to work if you have a data connection.
Suggestios? I did look around on this site before posting and saw a recommendation of an Nokia S6 -- checked Amazon US and it is available in the US or about $150.
Thanks.
tom

Edited by tomlev, 23 June 2013 - 06:26 PM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Do you actually mean a Nokia X6?

http://www.gsmarena....kia_x6-2922.php