Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer will not open so no internet access

• Please log in to reply

GrahamH

GrahamH

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I cannot open Internet Explorer so cannot currently access the internet on my laptop. It is obviously an issue with my laptop because I have access to my son's laptop which runs IE on the same broadband connection using the same ISP.

When I left click on the desktop icon an error message appears telling me "Windows cannot access the specified device/path/file and that I may not have appropriate permissions to access the item"

I have tried restoring the system to a date last week but the restoration didn't work and a message said that this might be because the anti virus software prevented it.

I run AVG 2013, which, incidentally, will also not open and might be contributing to the problem.

If I could get access to the internet I would either download Internet Explorer Repair Tool or sidestep the issue by downloading Chrome or Firefox but as I don't I am at a loss currently.

Laptop: Dell Inspiron

System: Windows 7 Home Premium

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
If you do Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run As Admin. you should get a black screen. Type (with an enter after the line) :

ipconfig

Normally this will show you your Wired and your Wireless along with a bunch of useless IPv6 stuff. The part we care about is:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.11.44
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.11.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Above example is connecting Wirelessly. What does your say? Does one of your interfaces have an IPc4 Address? What is it?

Assuming you have a valid IP (if it starts with 169. or 0. then it is not valid) you may be able to connect to the Internet anyway. Try typing:

ping 8.8.8.8

Does it get 4 Replies? If that works then try downloading the Opera browser as follows:

Bold text is what you type with an Enter after each line. Regular text is the expected response. Text in double parentheses are my comments.

ftp ftp.opera.com
Connected to get2.opera.com.
220 (vsFTPd 2.0.7)
User (get2.opera.com:(none)): anonymous
331 Please specify the password.
Password: any
230 Login successful.

ftp> cd pub/opera/win/1151/us
250 Directory successfully changed.

ftp> ls
((That's actually L S. Here you may get a windows prompt that it has blocked the program. Tell it to unblock))
Opera_1151_int_Setup.exe

ftp> binary
200 Switching to Binary mode.

ftp> get Opera_1151_int_Setup.exe
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for Opera_1151_int_Setup.exe (10307952 b
ytes).

((It will take it some time to download the file. There is no indication that anything is happening but if you go to Task Manager and look at the network traffic you will see that it is working.))

226 File send OK.
ftp: 10307952 bytes received in 119.73Seconds 86.09Kbytes/sec.
ftp> bye
221 Goodbye.

((Now is the tricky part. Have to find where it got stored. Do a search of the C:\ for Opera and it should show up.
Usually it stores the file in C:\users\YourLoginName\Opera_1151_int_Setup.exe (Win 7 or Vista) or in XP at C:\Documents and Settings\YourLoginName\
Right click on it and Open File Location then run the file in XP by doubleclicking. (Win 7 or Vista => right click on the the file and Run As Administrator). It installs very quickly. See if it will go anywhere like to att.com))

Ron

GrahamH

GrahamH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi Ron

Thanks for your reply.

Followed your instructions and all ok until the tricky bit.

Found the Opera file in C, right clicked on it and then clicked on Open File Location. Nothing has happened. Am I being too impatient or should it have found it by now (5 minutes)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
If you found the file then Right click on it and Run As Admin. to install it.

GrahamH

GrahamH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I thought I had found the file location but when I right click on it and click on Run as admin an error message pops up saying "Could not open archive file "C:\Windows\System32\Opera_1151_int_Setup.exe" The system cannot find the file specified"

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
I expect the file did not completely download. Check its properties - it should be 9.83 MB. If not, I would delete the file and try it again. Make sure it tells you

226 File send OK.
ftp: 10307952 bytes received in ...

After you type "bye" and your usual prompt returns you can try and run it from the command line. Just type:

Opera_1151_int_Setup.exe

GrahamH

GrahamH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
File is 9.83MB. Tried running it from the command line but still got the same error message.

I'll delete and try again but not until the morning. 23.30 local time and early start tomorrow.

In the meantime, thanks for the help.

Graham

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
"Could not open archive file " sounds like there may be something wrong with the .exe definition in the registry. Are you able to open regedit.exe from the Command Window?

Can you get OTL with another computer and use a USB drive to transfer it to the sick one?

GrahamH

GrahamH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
OK, I'm back up and running. Retried running Opera Set Up file as administrator this morning and it ran perfectly. Not sure why it didn't last night but hey ho.

Thanks to Ron Kinner for the advice. (Orcas Island looks great!)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Since AVG won't open it's possible you have some malware so you might want to run OTL and post in our malware forum. http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/ (First post has instructions.)

Ron

PS Orcas is beautiful. See: https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink