Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Vista no longer will boot, even in safe mode - Blk screen

• Please log in to reply

akaDex

akaDex

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Not sure if it is an infection but it kinda seems like it now.

I'm also not sure if I should enclude a "back story" of some hardware problems this computer had a few months ago, I don't know if its relevant.

Anyway to the relevant stuff.

Was playing a popular MMO game when the game crashed, which had happened only once before under similar circumstances (too much stuff happening in game, comps specs aren't that good at least thats what I think)but then the computer was kinda unresponsive? afterwards this time and was basically frozen, aside from the cursor. I could move that around but couldn't do anything else really. Even trying to "highlight" the start button wouldn't actually highlight it, at least not all the time and if it did it'd take a few minutes for anything to "register" at all. The computer did seem to be slower recently, even "right clicking" something (to bring up those options) could take anywhere from 30seconds or longer. I wanted to do a "system recovery" (factory settings) just to make sure but the computer no longer had that option/feature since replacing the harddrive and re installing vista ( I have no idea why).

Anyway, restarted the computer and it was still "frozen". Since the harddrive did need replacing 6 months or so ago, I thought it may be the new one messing up as well. So I booted it up in safe mode this time and everything was all good, then re booted it in safe mode with networking, logged into skype to let some friends know what was going on, downloaded malwarebytes and started scanning it. Malwarebytes "froze"/unresponsive for 20 seconds or so after starting the scan and a few times during it (the reason I uninstalled it a couple months ago just didn't seem to work properly on my computer). Anyway, let skype and malwarebytes run then went for a jog. I came back about an hour later thinking the scan would be done but I came back to a skype error code (don't remember it sorry but it was short) and malwarebytes was still running but completely unresponsive. I believe the whole ocmputer was but am not 100% certain on that, so I believe I did a hard reset and tried booting it into safe mode again and it no longer works.

Any mode I try to load up its just a black screen with my cursor on it and I can move it around but its just a complete black screen. Normal mode doesn't even do the freeze thing, its black as well.

Think I can get some help? I'd like to know whats wrong with it and what my options are, I think my only option would be to reformat it and do a clean install, right?

Kind Regards, and sorry for the long post.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello akaDex,

Welcome to Geekstogo.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Right click to run as administrator. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please also paste that into your reply.

akaDex

akaDex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello akaDex,

Welcome to Geekstogo.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

And how exactly am I supposed to download and run something on a computer that no longer boots up?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Oh dear I overlooked that you can no-longer boot into Safe Mode.

My apologies.

Try this:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

[*]Select Command Prompt
[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
[*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
[*]The tool will start to run.
[*]When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
[*]Press Scan button.
[*]It will create a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
[/list]

akaDex

akaDex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Oh dear I overlooked that you can no-longer boot into Safe Mode.

My apologies.

Try this:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

No need to apologize.

Mmm, to download it onto a flash drive I'd need a smart phone or something along those lines huh? All I got that can access the internet currently is my xbox 360 and its IE app, which you can't download anything off of :/

Nothing you guys can help with?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Nothing you guys can help with?

Not that I know of unless you have a installation disk for that machine. Even then we may not be able to use it with out a Repair Disk if your machine is Windows 7.

All the other options I have involve a download.

Do you have access to another computer, perhaps a friends or a family member that you could use?