Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get windows defender turned on

• Please log in to reply

SallyMae

SallyMae

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I just got a new Lenovo G505. It came with McCafee which I immediately uninstalled and stopped services for. I can't get the windows defender service set to automatic. Everytime I change it to "automatic" and hit "apply", it does not take. It goes back to "manual" and when I hit "start" the service will not start. I installed the powershell to get the "start button" back on windows 8 and when I go to windows defender from the start button, it says it is turned off. How do I get windows defender back on? Thanks.

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Hi :)

How did you uninstall McAfee? What way?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you tried this: How to Turn Windows Defender On or Off in Windows 8

SallyMae

SallyMae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Actually, Ztrucker, those were precisely the directions I was following and could not get it to work. I did managed to get the problem fixed but I can't remember what I did. I was toodling around somewhere in windows, I think the control panel. Even though I clicked windows defender, it just came up and said it was not on. But, somewhere, I can't remember where I found a button to click to turn it on. Guess I should have made some notes! Anyway, thanks as always.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No problem, just glad you got it fixed.