Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck at ASWRVRT.SYS

• Please log in to reply

jheat07

jheat07

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,

I'm a brand new user to this forum hoping to get some technical help. I've read a lot of other topics regarding my issue but I'm a novice computer user at best and I'm still confused as to what exactly I should do.

Pretty much what is happening is my computer is constantly freezing before I can get to my desktop. I was playing a game and my computer froze completely. I restarted my computer manually, tried to start windows normally, and it froze again (I have windows 7 64 bit by the way). Pretty much what ever I do the computer doesn't get past the windows logo screen without freezing. I've tried to boot to my windows cd but that also results in the computer freezing.

When I try to run in safe mode the last line I see it ASWRVRT.SYS and then it is frozen again. I've been reading this is a possible problem with avast? I wouldn't mind removing avast but I have no clue how to do so without being able to get to my desktop. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you advance.

Edited by jheat07, 16 September 2013 - 12:14 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
:welcome: jheat07

This may have been caused by a recent software update so I suggest you try the following;

Restart the computer while holding down the F8 key and see if you can get into the Advanced Boot Options screen, if you can please use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration and then press ENTER.

I am aware that you have tried to boot from your Windows disk but did you change the boot sequence in the BIOS first so that the order is the DVD drive first and the HDD second, if Last Known Good Configuration does not work I will provide the instructions for changing the boot sequence in the BIOS in case the disk is required to do a Repair Installation or run SFC (system file checker).

Let us know how you get on.

jheat07

jheat07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey thanks for the reply. I tried the last known configuration option but that resulted in my computer freezing. I was able to boot to the windows cd but as soon as it said "loading files" it would pretty much freeze after that. I did make it a little further sometimes to the repairing but that would usually result in a blue screen shortly after. As a last resort I tried switching my ram around and unplugging and plugging some stuff back in and my computer seems to be fine for now, not sure if the problem was ram or what. Is there a way to run a diagnostics on the ram to see if there is a problem with 1 of them? I hope everything holds up as I'm not not really sure what the problem was...I was getting a blue screen a few times and some people told me that is usually a ram problem. Thanks again for your help.

Edited by jheat07, 17 September 2013 - 04:00 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
As the computer is now booting I would start with a Windows memory test and see what transpires, "how to" and then run SFC to make sure that your OS is in good order.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup: