Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updates/Reverting Startup Freezing

• Please log in to reply

KristinMW

KristinMW

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I had the luck of 22 updates trying to update on my computer yesterday. When I went in to see what they were they appeared to be security files, one a Defender file, and a bunch of other critical ones. For some reason they all showed up at once and the computer froze trying to update whichever one it was trying to do first. so, we had to shut her down. Now she's trying to start and revert the update that didn't happen and is freezing there. I do know how to get into the safe mode and command prompt. However, I'm afraid I know just enough to make matters worse. HOw can I stop this updating/reverting from happening on startup so I can get into the computer as normal?

PS ... on neighbors computer for the forums here. any help greatly appreciated!

Kristin :wacko:

Advertisements

KristinMW

KristinMW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Someone please help, I need to work from my computer and upload for jobs and such. please, please, please!

Tinkertown

Tinkertown

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 when the PC is booting up. Sometimes pressing it once does not do the trick, repeatedly press F8 if you can't time it right.

When PC has loaded navigate to windows update, and click disable.

I think this should stop the PC from trying to revert the updates, and downloading any in future. At least then you can get on your PC, and try to figure out what went wrong.