Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

So close yet so far - Outlook Express to Outlook in Windows 8 with Off

• Please log in to reply

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi All

Having had a nightmare trying to get used to Windows 8 I have almost completed my transfer from XP. Until about an hour ago I was happy to use the Mail App even though it does not support POP accounts but by using a GMail account. It works-ish but I do not like the layout of the Mail App.

Just as I was cleaning up the desktop I spotted 'Outlook' from an install of Office 2003 and this got me wondering......

....I have managed to set up my old Outlook Express account on the new PC but I cannot import my old e-mails. I have Exported them onto the new PC but when I go through the Import process and it asks for a location when I click on where I have stored the emails (and contacts) it says it cannot open the files.

Two questions:

1) Is this even possible, what I am trying to do (or does W8 block it all somehow)?

2) If it is possible, do I have to create a file with the name that I have taken from the 'storebox' or whatever it is called, in Outlook Express?

Many thanks in advance for your help, please do not point me in the direction of the microsoft solution because it simply does not work.

Thanks

Rob

Advertisements

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Solved it! Created Outlook in XP, transferred files to USB then imported into Outlook that I had set up in W8 - now I have another colossal problem - see other thread