Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Infection - PC Freezing and IE Windows Open Very Slowly

• Please log in to reply

sasba858

sasba858

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi guys!

After going to a website on Saturday, I begin having problems where my Laptop is Freezing and IE Windows very slowly open. Here is a list of things I tried to do in hopes of fixing my problem.

1. Ran a Avast virus scan - scan showed no problems

2. Ran Malewarebytes scan - scan showed no problems

3. Ran SUPERAntiSpyware scan - scan showed no problems

4. Tried doing a system restore to a date before the problems occured - System restore was successful but did not solve the problems.

Any helper with suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by sasba858, 28 October 2013 - 10:14 AM.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello sasba858,

I see you use AVAST.

Try going to Control panel > Internet options > Manage browser add-ons > Manage add-ons .
Right click on and in the panel below disable Avast internet security
Restart IE and let me know if that works

Also

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Right click to run as administrator. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please also paste that into your reply.

sasba858

sasba858

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi emeraldnzl,

Thank you for your reply. Before I do anything, let me tell you what happen yesterday. I decided to try AVG free which I used a few years ago. After removing Avast (without any antivirus on my laptop) everything was working fast once again, so that told me that it must be the newer version of Avast that came out a few days ago. Once I loaded AVG, everything has been working fast and great. One thing did however concern me, and that was when the antivirus was removed, I was not getting any security warning in my lower right-hand corner tray. Does that mean I would need to change a security setting to get the warning you would want, to let you know that there is no antivirus on your computer?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

so that told me that it must be the newer version of Avast that came out a few days ago.

Not certain but I think Avast has been updated to work better with the latest version of IE.

I was not getting any security warning in my lower right-hand corner tray. Does that mean I would need to change a security setting to get the warning you would want, to let you know that there is no antivirus on your computer?

Might be that your Windows Security Center wasn't on. Depends on what OS you have but with Vista and Win 7 the following procedure should work. Having said that, third party AVs do change settings when they are installed to avoid conflict so you might find AVG has set things the way it wants.

How to start Windows Security Centre Service

• Click on Start
  • In the Search programs and files box type Services
  • In the programs list that is at the top (at least on my computer) of the search results click on Services
  • Scroll down to Security Center
  • Right click and click on Properties
  • In the Startup type: ensure that Automatic (Delayed Start) is selected
  • Under Service status: press the Start button
  • Click Apply or Okay
If that doesn't work go to this link for more information on actions you can take.

sasba858

sasba858

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

so that told me that it must be the newer version of Avast that came out a few days ago.

Not certain but I think Avast has been updated to work better with the latest version of IE.

I was not getting any security warning in my lower right-hand corner tray. Does that mean I would need to change a security setting to get the warning you would want, to let you know that there is no antivirus on your computer?

Might be that your Windows Security Center wasn't on. Depends on what OS you have but with Vista and Win 7 the following procedure should work. Having said that, third party AVs do change settings when they are installed to avoid conflict so you might find AVG has set things the way it wants.

How to start Windows Security Centre Service

• Click on Start
  • In the Search programs and files box type Services
  • In the programs list that is at the top (at least on my computer) of the search results click on Services
  • Scroll down to Security Center
  • Right click and click on Properties
  • In the Startup type: ensure that Automatic (Delayed Start) is selected
  • Under Service status: press the Start button
  • Click Apply or Okay
If that doesn't work go to this link for more information on actions you can take.

I tried this but there is not anything that says: "Windows Security Centre Service" I think that may be because I have XP. I guess I should have mentioned that I have a Dell Vostro 1520 - Windows XP Professional - Version 2002 - Service Pack 3. I hope this info helps you.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I tried this but there is not anything that says: "Windows Security Centre Service" I think that may be because I have XP. I guess I should have mentioned that I have a Dell Vostro 1520 - Windows XP Professional - Version 2002 - Service Pack 3. I hope this info helps you.

Yes the information I gave you was for Vista/Windows 7.

Go here for information on how to enable or disable Windows XP Security Center alerts.

sasba858

sasba858

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Yes the information I gave you was for Vista/Windows 7.

Go here for information on how to enable or disable Windows XP Security Center alerts.

Thanks! I will try that tomorrow.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
:thumbsup: