Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 won't boot in one go.

• Please log in to reply

abhishek123

abhishek123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had a dual boot system earlier with Linux Mint alongside my Win7 installation. I uninstalled linux and later overwrote grub with windows mbr. The system would freeze at startup screen with this screen My link.
Then on restart it will give me this screen: My link.
Firstly I selected the first option to repair starup, it ran for about an hour or so and concluded by saying that "Windows startup repair cannot repair your startup". I retried startup repair but it wouldn't work.
But surprisingly when I selected Start Windows normally, the system booted normally.
And since then I have been booting my system like this.
I tried to fix it by booting with win7 installation disk and running command prompt and then running bootrec /fixboot, bootrec /fixmbr which execute fine but bootrec /REBUILDBCD says 0 operating systems found. Even after doing these there is no change in the startup.

Also Idon't have any restore points from when the system was working fine :(

Edited by abhishek123, 21 November 2013 - 11:55 AM.

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
Hello abhishek123 and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Sorry for your problems with booting your system after removing the dual boot. I'm not an expert on all things PC (but still learning) but from what I know and researched it looks like your BCD file is damaged (Boot Configuration Data file). There is a step by step write up on repairing this here. Read through the steps and see if you have any questions before doing them; if you do, please post back here. Once the steps are completed, report back how your system is booting now.

Thanks.

abhishek123

abhishek123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank You for replying so quickly. I tried the link you gave me step-by-step but the problem isn't solved. This time /buildbcd command found the windows installation which it couldn't find earlier.

The solution you gave me was for an UN-bootable system, but I can right now boot into my system though going through 2 steps. So, could you give me a way to fix it when I am logged into my Admin account. I alredy tried Write MBR using EasyBCD software.

Again a noticed a veryy strange thing, when stuck on this screen for more than 40 seconds I struck F8 on my keyboard and the windows logo appeaared and my system booted fine. :/ After this I think the computer is really just screwing with me. :(