Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update Corrupt Help! (win7)

• Please log in to reply

sour11

sour11

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi there. Randomly one day my windows update would keep saying update failed no matter what I did. I tried everything I could find online from using Microsoft's fix it application, windows update fixer and going into the cmd prompt to name a few. I keep getting a CODE 80070643 error on the windows update as you can see below. Also when I run Microsoft's windows update trouble shooter I get a different error which points to the updater being corrupt (80070490). I've spent hours on trial and error on different websites to no avail, please any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by sour11, 04 December 2013 - 02:13 AM.

Advertisements

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
Hello,

Export CBS folder

• Click the Start button Posted Image then click Computer.
  • Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  • Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  • Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
  • Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
  • Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.

Please attach the zip folder to your next answer. :) I and some colleagues will look over the log(s)

sour11

sour11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Attached is what you asked for, thanks again for the help Posted Image! I had to use file dropper since it was bigger then the 2MB upload limit on this site. Below is the link to the zip.

http://www.filedropper.com/cbs

sour11

sour11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Still no luck trying with different ways, I hope we can get to the bottom of this! I don't want to do the repair install yet without finding out if I can fix this in an easier way!

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
This is a very complex problem. I would suggest a repair install being honest.

Edited by Machiavelli, 05 December 2013 - 07:04 AM.

sour11

sour11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Any specific steps to do the repair install? Could you tell by the logs what exactly was corrupt?

Edited by sour11, 05 December 2013 - 04:43 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried doing the steps located HERE from Microsoft on this error message?

sour11

sour11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Have you tried doing the steps located HERE from Microsoft on this error message?

Yes, thats the first page I went to after the problem happened. I will run through the steps one more time just for the heck of it and report back here once I'm done.

sour11

sour11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Shaffer I have some good and bad news. I decided just to uninstall and re install all of the frameworks instead of just the two it recommended, and I was able to update two out of the three updates! Before that, the updater would say creating restore point and fail as soon it it started downloading the first update! The bad news is that it is still failing on the Microsoft security essentials update. I posted the update history below so you can see how many times it keeps failing. Should I look into a way to manually install it, or try to get to the bottom of why the updater fails for this update? Thanks again!

Posted Image

Edited by sour11, 06 December 2013 - 06:36 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you install all the net updates in order or did you skip any?

Advertisements

sour11

sour11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
In order, just as they were before the uninstall. It just this MSE 4.4 update giving me issues now Posted Image.

Edited by sour11, 06 December 2013 - 07:06 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have the free version of MSE or the paid?
You could always uninstall the version you have now and then download and install the newest version which would alleviate the need for the update.

sour11

sour11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I'm gong to say free, since its the one that came with my windows 7 premium. Thats what I was thinking but will that just be going around the bush and leave it the updater open for more issues next time there is an update? Or do you think if I can get around this update by uninstalling it should fix the problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Getting rid of the need for the update should resolve the issue unless the updater itself is the problem. I don't see that being the case since other updates were done on the 6th after the MSE update failed. That tells me the issue is the update and not the updater.

sour11

sour11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Makes sense. Alright I'll go ahead and uninstall MSE and DL the newest version and let you know if it works!