Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All Windows 8 Apps Crash when Opened

• Please log in to reply

weileash

weileash

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello!

Not sure the precursor to this exactly, but I discovered today that whenever I attempt to open a Windows App that doesn't open a window on my desktop (ex. The App Store, Webcam), it doesn't open, my screen simply turns the color of my background, then it reverts back to the Start Menu. I tried searching online for a fix for the issue, but everyone turns up the same list of fixes that don't work for me (ex. the ones on this site.). I've tried those fixes and either they didn't need to be done, or didn't have any effect. I tried rebooting my laptop three times and that didn't help either.

Most of the fixes I've found require me to open the App Store, PC Settings, or do a PC Refresh but I can't get any of those to work.

For reference, I have:
Acer Aspire V5-571 series
Model No. MS2361
And I'm fairly certain Windows 8.1 but I can't open my PC Settings to find out.

I just uninstalled McAfee in hopes that would help, but no luck. I also have AVG Free, IObit Uninstaller, Walware Fighter, Driver Booster Free, and Advance System Care Free.

This site helped me out once before with a nasty virus on my previous laptop, so I turned here again! If you need any additional info, I'll gladly provide ASAP, but you might have to give detailed instructions because I'm not as well-versed as I'd like to be.

Thanks so much!

Ashley

UPDATE: I can't open Firefox and Internet Explorer anymore, only Chrome. I read on other forums that other people had the same problem.

Edited by weileash, 18 December 2013 - 11:55 PM.

Advertisements

weileash

weileash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, so I started fiddling around with a few things.

I created another account on my laptop, but this time didn't connect it to a Microsoft account and kept it local instead. Now, on this account, the apps are working again! However, because of this, I no longer have access to any of my files from my main account. Being a writer, artist, and avid music listener, this really isn't acceptable because it will take HOURS to move all of my files.

I tried to make my main account into a local account, but I can't because every time I try to open my PC settings, that "app" crashes like all the others. Is there any way to make my main account into a local account to fix this problem without opening PC settings?

Or is there another way to resolve this issue?

Thanks!