Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 not holding updated drivers/fingerprint scanner not working

• Please log in to reply

Brian Brown 103

Brian Brown 103

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

I hope this is the correct area to start this thread. I have an HP Pavillion dv7 laptop running Windows 7 and McAfee All Access Total protection. I also have Driver Detective installed. Recently the laptop has been unable to load any updated drivers (shows the driver updates are loading but never holds them) as well as the fingerprint scanner on the hardware itself has stopped. As a matter of fact the scanner portion of the printer that was attached also stopped working. It seems neither scanner can be recognized. OTL Log is copied below in its entirety.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated and thanks in advance!

Thank you!
Brian Brown

OTL logfile created on: 12/16/2013 5:41:01 PM - Run 1
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 Folder = C:\Users\Brian\Downloads
64bit- Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Version = 6.1.7601) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 9.11.9600.16428)
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: M/d/yyyy

5.48 Gb Total Physical Memory | 2.01 Gb Available Physical Memory | 36.73% Memory free
10.96 Gb Paging File | 7.19 Gb Available in Paging File | 65.66% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): ?:\pagefile.sys [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\Windows | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files (x86)
Drive C: | 578.54 Gb Total Space | 206.30 Gb Free Space | 35.66% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive D: | 17.33 Gb Total Space | 1.89 Gb Free Space | 10.93% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive F: | 99.34 Mb Total Space | 91.20 Mb Free Space | 91.81% Space Free | Partition Type: FAT32

Computer Name: BRIAN-HP | User Name: Brian | Logged in as Administrator.

Edited by phillpower2, 21 December 2013 - 12:59 PM.
OTL removed as not used on these forums

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Brian Brown 103

Some questions if I may;

Have you tried a system restore point to a date that is before the problem began.
Had you made any hardware or software changes immediately before the problem began.
Have you tried updating/installing the drivers in Safe Mode with Networking.
Are Driver Detective and McAfee paid for or free programs.
Are you aware of the risk of malware attack when downloading torrents.

If the possibility of malware infection appears we must put this topic on hold and refer you to the malware forums.

Brian Brown 103

Brian Brown 103

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello.

I have tried a system restore with no luck.
No hardware or software changes have been made for a long time.
I have not tried anything in Safe Mode with Networking.
Driver Detective and McAfee are both paid programs.
As to Torrents, that software is there but it has not been used since long before this issue came up. I was honestly more interested to see what it was as I had heard about it, but it was not largely used. At least not by me or anyone that I knew was using it. Just never uninstalled it.

Thanks.

Hello Brian Brown 103

Some questions if I may;

Have you tried a system restore point to a date that is before the problem began.
Had you made any hardware or software changes immediately before the problem began.
Have you tried updating/installing the drivers in Safe Mode with Networking.
Are Driver Detective and McAfee paid for or free programs.
Are you aware of the risk of malware attack when downloading torrents.

If the possibility of malware infection appears we must put this topic on hold and refer you to the malware forums.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Please try installing the updates while in safe mode with networking.

Have Driver Detective and McAfee been in use previous to this issue and not created any problems.

Regarding the torrents, I can only suggest that you uninstall the software and refrain from downloading them as they are a potential minefield.

Do you have a Windows 7 installation disk in case one is required for a repair installation - running SFC.

You are welcome btw :)

Brian Brown 103

Brian Brown 103

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry it took so long, We are in the middle of a move on top of EVERYTHING else...

I did try with Safe mode and Networking. Was told the Windows Installer Service is not available in Safe mode.

As to an install disk, I do have one, but it is someplace in our moving boxes that have not been unpacked yet... :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No worries just let us know when you are able to spend time on this.

Have Driver Detective and McAfee been in use previous to this issue and not created any problems.

Can you also answer the above for us, DD is less likely to give you problems than McAfee is but still cannot be ruled out.

Brian Brown 103

Brian Brown 103

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, most of the unpacking is now complete... So I have time to look into this again. Thank you for your patience.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No worries, when you are ready :thumbsup:

Brian Brown 103

Brian Brown 103

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ready, willing and able. Where do I go from here? By the way, the torrent software has been uninstalled. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can you answer a question that I previously asked which was;

Have you located your Windows DVD disk in case it is needed.

I will wait for your update for now before suggesting anything further.

Brian Brown 103

Brian Brown 103

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have not been able to locate the Windows DVD at this point in time. It is still buried in the myriad of boxes I have yet to unpack.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Can you answer a question that I previously asked which was;

:unsure:
Have you located your Windows DVD disk in case it is needed.

I will wait for your update for now before suggesting anything further.

I have not been able to locate the Windows DVD at this point in time. It is still buried in the myriad of boxes I have yet to unpack.
:thumbsup: