Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Factory Unlocked?

• Please log in to reply

tessk

tessk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Im looking to buy my daughter a new phone (her's isnt working well) and I have Verizon as my cell service. When Im looking some say Factory Unlocked - im not sure what that means. What should I look for when I have Verizon. Any suggestions? thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

chessgame

chessgame

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello tessk With a factory unlocked phone no changes are made to the hardware or software, So these phones can be used with any cell phone provider , You can change provider simply by changing the sim card.

Edited by chessgame, 28 December 2013 - 02:44 AM.

tessk

tessk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for helping me out. So even though I dont have a SIMS card from the original phone - do I need one? Or with the factory unlock ones you can either have a sims card or not?

chessgame

chessgame

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
An unlocked phone will Not come with a sim card, When you decide which provider you are going to use they will send you a sim card out. Or use your existing sim card. I have two pay as you go sim cards from two different providers and change them every couple of months,depending on who has the best deals on.
Yes you will need a sim card to be able to use the phone. hope this helps and your welcome.

ouiallo

ouiallo

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Tessk & Chessgame, depends of where you live. In some country you don't need to have sim cards, some phones don't even have sim readers, your provider will simply ask you for your phone serial#. The convenience of having sim is so you can use different providers or when travelling to other countries.