Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEED HELP STREAMING FROM COMPUTER TO TV

• Please log in to reply

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I have a VIZIO flatscreen TV that I used to hook up my computer monitor to it to watch movies from the Internet on. But I use my monitor and my TV, so I need to know how to stream movies from the Net to my TV without using my monitor. I was told at Radio Shack that I would have to get a splitter for the monitor and another cable to hook into my computer and TV. It was very pricey, so I just wanted to see if anyone can help me find less expensive way to do this and how to do it. The only thing I have is a small RCA streaming box that I can watch NetFlix and YouTube on. I don't have cable, but I do have access to unlimited movies on the Net through Frontier. I also want the audio to go through the TV when streaming. If the cables that they told me to get are the right ones, is there any other place to purchase them cheaper? I don't know anything about streaming. :upset:

I am using an HP computer with Win7 (if that helps any).

I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

Advertisements

AdvHomeServer

AdvHomeServer

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
There are a few ways to get your internet video to your TV.

The most flexible is a media server called Serviio. It's free, although it costs $25 to register it. The free version is almost fully featured and has no nag screens. If you get it working well, you should pay for it. Serviio goes on your PC / linux / apple and some NAS devices. A Java runtime is required. No browser elements of the JRE are involved so, I assume, there is no JRE security issue. Serviio uses DLNA to take the signal from your PC or NAS and send it to the TV over the home network. Serviio is the only media streamer I know of that can take a signal off the internet and send it to your TV via DLNA over the home network to any DLNA adapted PC in the house. All others require actual attachment to your TV. My blog contains an article that describes Serviio configuration. Serviio has a web site and an active forum for additional support.

You can directly attach your PC via HDMI to your TV. I think a lot of people do this with lap top computers. Even an andriod tablet can do the job.

Some media devices support Plex. If you can get it working to your satisfaction, Plex can send video off the internet to your TV, but must be directly connected via HDMI to your TV.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Thank you, AdvHomeServer. That's a lot for me to take in, so I've decided to go back to cable, but I need help deciding on DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem/Router with Wireless-N, so that I can stream through my RCA box and (hopefully)a Roku box in the near future. I have looked online at different modem/routers, but not sure which one would be the cheapest that would work with cable. The cable company told me that I need the kind of modem/router listed above. There are soooo many, and so many options for each that I don't understand. I will be streaming wirelessly through my RCA box or Roku in the future.

Could you advise me on which Brand is the best and where to buy it? I would like to go as cheap as possible and still be able to watch movies on my TV through my Internet.

Thanks again, and sorry for my lack of education in this area.
:rolleyes: