Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Boot Infection / Rootkit

• Please log in to reply

Mystic Merlin

Mystic Merlin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I was wondering if anyone in the forum has come acroos this before, I have installed Spybot Search & Destroy 2 and after running the 'Rootkit' scanner in Deep Mode, it comes back with results which are a little worrying. I have searched the net and found a report from MS stating that with a Boott! s infection, a re-install is mandatory. There is also one mention in the Spybot Forums in response to this Boot! s question, stating that they thought that these were "Probably hidden system files and therefore nothing to worry about " which seems a little blaze to me.

The first is a file :

Windows:Preferences:$DATA Location C: Unknown ADS (Flagged Yellow)

The second is a folder :

Boott! s Location C: Invisible to Win32 (Flagged red, indicating a threat / Hazard )

Any info would be welcomed as I don't want to do a re-install unnecessarily !!!

Cheers, :surrender: :help:

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by Mystic Merlin, 02 January 2014 - 05:07 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Since I do not know what version of Windows I have given you the Vista/Win7 instructions. If you have XP just double click to run the programs.

Download aswMBR.exe to your desktop.
Right click aswMBR.exe and Run as Administrator
Click the "Scan" button to start scan (Accept the Avast Engine)
On completion of the scan if the Fix button is enabled (not the FixMBR button) press it and then run a new scan and click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply
If the Fix button is not enabled then just click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply

ComboFix

:!: It must be saved to your desktop, do not run it from your browser:!:

:!: Disable your Antivirus software when downloading or running Combofix. If it has Script Blocking features, please disable these as well. See: http://www.bleepingc...opic114351.html

:!: Turn off your screen saver so you can see what is going on

Download and Save this file -- to your Desktop -- from either of these two sources:
http://download.blee...Bs/ComboFix.exe
http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

Rightclick on ComboFix and select Run As Administrator to start the program.

* :!: Important: Have no other programs running. Your Task Bar should be clear of any program entries including your Browser.

* A window may open with a series of Disclaimers. Accept the Disclaimers to start the fix.

Do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed, as this may cause the process to stall or your computer to lock. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop. Even when ComboFix appears to be doing nothing, look at your Drive light. If it is flashing, Combofix is still at work.
You should get a log when it finishes. If not this may mean you have the new version of Zero Access malware so run Combofix a second time.
If you still don't get a log search for Combofix.txt. It is usually at => C:\Combofix\Combofix.txt. I'll need to see that in your reply.
If you get an error about a registry value when you try to run a program, then just reboot to clear it.

Download TDSSKiller:
http://support.kaspe.../tdsskiller.exe
Save it to your desktop then run it by right clicking and Run As Admin.

If TDSSKiller alerts you that the system needs to reboot, please consent.

Run TDSSKiller again but this time:
before you hit the Scan hit Change Parameters and check the two items under Additional Options. OK then Scan.
In this mode it is prone to false positives so do not change the SKIP option to DELETE unless it says TDSS.
When done, a log file should be created on your C: drive named "TDSSKiller.txt" please copy and paste the contents in your next reply.