Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BLUE SCREEN, (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi .. I am now on part 3a .. it has fully loaded and I have that image of the puppy desktop on my screen. ... I will continue the next few steps .. I have one more question b4 I continue ... Will I lose any of my software??

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I am now stuck ...

I am on step 3a. Mount Drives step 3, which is "USB flash drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted."

I have no idea where that is .. I have looked and dont see it .... :(

I clicked on the mount icon and clicked on "mount for drive but don't see the usb to mount it

Also I do have an external drive .. it sayd to mount it now at 3a step 5 ... does that mean to attach my external drive via usb to my tower??

Edited by Lexy610, 05 March 2014 - 12:25 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
You will not loose your Data.
Did you install a USB stick into a front USB socket before booting to Puppy?

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
No I did not ... it did not instruct me to ... once I got to part 3a step 5 it instructed me to connect the external that it was the time to do so.

Edited by Lexy610, 05 March 2014 - 03:39 AM.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Still waiting on feed back about my questions on post #212.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Down at the bottom left you should see all the drives that are identified by Linux. If you are booting from a USB it should already be there. There should also be a icon that looks like the HD. The important question is if the kb and mouse are working at this point in Linux?

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I will check that in a sec and yes the kb and mouse are working in linux

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I still do not see that USBdrv .. I don't see where to look to see where the drives are identified at the bottom left?? What exactly am I looking for? An icon?? And should I plug in my external drive as part 3a step 5 states??

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Yes, plug in you drive and switch on, the drive should appear along the bottom left.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi. I am now really confused. Is that the usbdrv? Is that icon the usbdrv in the picture what I was originally asking?

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi. I am now really confused. Is that the usbdrv? Is that icon the usbdrv in the picture what I was originally asking?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Sorry about the confusion. I am running a different flavour of Puppy so the desktops are slightly different.
I will download the same one as you are using and set up on another computer and will run it and get back to you with instructions.
Please exit from Puppy.
shut down the computer.
Remove you external USB Data drive.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hello.
Ok thank u so much. Everything is shut down ...

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Good Morning ...

Any updates??

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Back at last, sorry it took so long, (Puppy Lupa) not a very friendly user interface.

1. Plug in your external USB backup drive, do not switch on yet.
2. Boot to the Puppy disk.
3. At the bottom left you should see one or more HDD icons, first one = sda1, if a second one = sda2.
4. Hover your mouse pointer over each in turn, The files system and size will be displayed.
5. Choose the biggest with a ntfs files system > left click once.
A window will open displaying the content of the Windows XP drive, you can scroll up and down to see the contents. we are only interested in two icons, Documents and setting. Files.
6. Left click once on Documents and setting, > left click once on your user name,
Can you see your Folders i.e. My Doc, My pictures, etc.???

Edit to remove instruction #1.