Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer freezes with blank or coloured screen

• Please log in to reply

julianpageart

julianpageart

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Please can someone kindly help with this recurring problem.
For approximately one year, the computer monitor freezes either black, white, green, magenta, orange/brown, blue. The screen is all one colour, not lines or patchy.
When I have been playing music the sound jams also.
If you turn off and reboot, this can problem can recur multiple times. The problem can also desist for hours at a time of time. However, it normally happens every time we use the computer.
I have tried using the computer in safe mode but the problem still happens.
We don't play computer games, just the internet and word processing. The operating system is windows vista.
The computer is approximately 7 years old. It is a Hewlett Packard Pavillion Desktop and the monitor came with it.
I hope you can shed some light in this, many thanks
Julian

Edited by julianpageart, 17 January 2014 - 07:32 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,704 posts
:welcome: julianpageart

Typical symptoms of a computer overheating, when was the last time that the computer was cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

Run Speccy and post the url for us please, see here

julianpageart

julianpageart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much for your reply. I have run speccy and here are the reults for you;

http://speccy.pirifo...XcOiktTZfbhzXST

I had wondered about overheating as being the cause of this problem. I noticed that the fan was racing a lot, a couple of years ago. This prompted me to investigate. I cleaned the fans and inside of tower with compressed air and have done so periodically since. I just wonder if that initial period of time when the fans were being left to strain has caused damage. Anyway I eagerly await your suggestions based on this snapshot.

I can't thank you enough for your time and expertise on this.
regards
Julian

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,704 posts
Thanks for the update Julian :thumbsup:

From the Speccy results your temps do not look too bad at all so the problem may lay elsewhere and possibly with the aged add on 256MB video card, your MB has an integrated video chip, would you be comfortable with removing the NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GE add on card and then using the MBs onboard video chip to see if the issue has gone.

Other things of note from the Speccy results are the absence of the voltage readings from the PSU which we must also check at some point + your Power Plan settings have the HDD set to turn off after 20 minutes and the screensaver enabled, the other settings are all disabled so I would also disable these two settings, this because the HDD setting is somewhat contradictory as no other hardware can function with the HDD shutdown so they should all be either disabled or enabled, screensavers can cause problems of their own but it is advisable to turn them off in any event when you are troubleshooting.

To help with removing the add on video card. (excuse the title of the guide)
Your MB specs

julianpageart

julianpageart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your suggestions.
If I understand you correctly, If I remove the video card the in built video card should take over. If the problem ceases then it was the video card that was at fault Is that right?
I think I could do that. I don't really understand the the other part, but I will try and work it out.
Thanks again,
Julian

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,704 posts

Thank you for your suggestions.
You are most welcome :)

If I understand you correctly, If I remove the video card the in built video card should take over. If the problem ceases then it was the video card that was at fault Is that right?
You are correct.

I think I could do that. I don't really understand the the other part, but I will try and work it out.
I did not wish to overburden you by going into too much detail at one time, please try the above and if it is necessary I will provide the additional information of which you are unclear of.

Thanks again,
Julian

:thumbsup: