Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows OS crashed (vista) due to virus. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
COM+ message and Trend Micro, both have not come up since last weekend.
Post boot up the system was unresponsive, now all fine.
System is running fine with no interruptions, please restore my original OS

Thank you.

Advertisements

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts

please restore my original OS

What do you mean with that?

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
The Windows is still not restored. The version on my screen reads is not genuine.

This was the original issue right from the beginning..

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
Please click on the "Windows is not genuine" notification and follow the onscreen instructions. You should be able to activate Windows there. If not we must do it via telephonic support.

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
There is no such link here. This is exactly how it reads on the right end corner of the desktop -

"Windows Vista ™
Build 6002
This copy of Windows is not genuine"

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
  • Click the Start button, and then click Computer.
  • Click System properties on the toolbar, and then click Click here to activate Windows now in the Windows activation area.
  • Select the Windows Vista activation method that you want, and then follow the instructions. (activate windows online)

There is a good website with video:

See here.

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
One more thing noticed today, since our reboot yesterday, there is no sound coming from the system. It shows sign of mute in the bottom bar and I am not able to unmute it with mouse and/or keyboard. Reads no sound device is installed? Can you please help restore this?

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
Please try the instructions from Post #126. Then we will look for the sound problem. :wacko:

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
At Start should I go to My Computer? I am unable to find System Properties there..

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I tried calling SONY VAIO for the Vista activation and they say that my system must have been corrupted due to virus/ trojan/ malware and so this has happened. The product key for Windows Vista is here but does not work.

What could I do now?

Also, please work with me on restoring the sound, my lil girl will drive me nuts if she cannot hear her nursery rhymes. Save me, please!

Advertisements

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
If you click on the Start Button you will see that below:

Posted Image

Please click on Computer. You will see a window which looks like this:

Posted Image

Click on System Properties. A Windows will open which looks like this:

Posted Image

Then click on Activate Windows now and do a Online activation. Then follow the onscreen instructions.

I have just tested that on my dad's Vista Computer and it worked. If it doesn't work please explain exactly what is happening.

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts

What could I do now?

Try the steps above.

You had a nasty infection which Jasmyne did a great job on. We never can guarantee that it is Malware free, but in your last logs I didn't saw anything wrong. Please do the steps above and if this doesn't work we must probably again search for Malware. I can't fix all issues at one time, only fix one by one. That needs patience - we will fix that probably but this needs time. Especially this what you have on your system is special and not easy to fix. There are multiple issues - and I have no idea why. Our plan should be why is there an issue.

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
The message says -

"The Windows Vista Home Premium Product Key you typed is invalid for activation"

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
One more thing - When I scroll the mouse to the sound short cut icon on the right end of the screen, it says "No Audio Output Device is installed"

Nothing changed from last evening until now on the system, this message seems very strange?

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts

The message says -

"The Windows Vista Home Premium Product Key you typed is invalid for activation"

Same steps now as before, but instead Activating online please do a telephonic activation. (Use the automated telephone system)

How to do this look at this page here. Look at the Video. The interesting part starts at 2:15.