Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File and Printer sharing

• Please log in to reply

dolface755

dolface755

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
I was wondering if anyone had instructions on how to file and printer share for two computers. One is running windows 7 and the other is running Windows XP SP3. My normal way of setting up file sharing is not working on her computers. If anyone has instructions or maybe a website I can go and read up on how to do it that would greatly help
Thank you

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi,

Check the following Microsoft article about Sharing files and printers on the top right select the Windows version you are using to share the files and printer.

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Ok that particular website only tells me how to file share for the different versions. The problem my mother is having and I have to solve from 400km away is that she has one computer running Windows7 and one running Windows XP SP3 and going through the file sharing setup the way I have before with Windows XP, the Windows 7 machine doesn't accept the file sharing from the XP computer or doesn't recognize it

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Ok that particular website only tells me how to file share for the different versions. The problem my mother is having and I have to solve from 400km away is that she has one computer running Windows7 and one running Windows XP SP3 and going through the file sharing setup the way I have before with Windows XP, the Windows 7 machine doesn't accept the file sharing from the XP computer or doesn't recognize it

Can you describe exactly what happens if on the search box you type \\name_of_xp_machine\Share?

If the machines have the firewall enable make sure the file and pint sharing is enabled.

Edit: Replace Share with the name of the folder shared on the Windows XP Machine.

Edited by SleepyDude, 22 February 2014 - 06:11 AM.

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Ok going to have to get back to you on that one. I have to wait for my mother's computer to be available for remote access and go back and forth from her laptop to her desktop. I'll try that next time I log on and see what happens.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Ok going to have to get back to you on that one. I have to wait for my mother's computer to be available for remote access and go back and forth from her laptop to her desktop. I'll try that next time I log on and see what happens.

Ok.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Not sure what typing \\name_of_xp_machine\Share in a Command Prompt will do.

Did you mean net view \\name_of_xp_machine to see what shares are defined on that computer?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Not sure what typing \\name_of_xp_machine\Share in a Command Prompt will do.

Did you mean net view \\name_of_xp_machine to see what shares are defined on that computer?

Hi,

The search box on Windows 7 will be equivalent to use the run box and type \\name_of_xp_machine\Share

If the XP machine is sharing a folder that should ask for a user password.

Editing my other post because I missed a little piece of information...