Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIN 7 OEM

• Please log in to reply

deltatrooper

deltatrooper

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just bought a new 500g/b had and want to install WIN 7 on it. I have another PC that already has WIN 7 and I like how it functions. I don't want to do WIN 8 yet. The PC with the new HD is WIN 7 compatible and ready, so that's not a problem. Can I just buy an OEM version of WIN 7 from a reputable on-line retailer and install it on my HD? I have no problem installing it myself. I just want to be sure that it's legal and that I can activate the key through Microsoft.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
:welcome:

Hello,

Two reputable sources i would rather deal with NewEgg

And Tiger Direct

There is a company also called Digital River where you may be able to download this, but i am not sure of it anymore, you can google it more to see.

You never specified if you wanted 32 bit or 64 bit, Home or Professional versions, and make sure later on get all the updates (service packs).

Google is a good resource, always research whatever you do with a PC.

Good Luck! :rockon:

Edited by jds63, 26 February 2014 - 02:35 PM.

deltatrooper

deltatrooper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello,

And Tiger Direct

There is a company also called Digital River where you may be able to download this, but i am not sure of it anymore, you can google it more to see.

You never specified if you wanted 32 bit or 64 bit, Home or Professional versions, and make sure later on get all the updates (service packs).

Yes, I've look at both Tiger Direct and NewEgg. Wasn't quite sure if there was a CoA that came with the OS and if I could just install an OEM version on my own PC without being a retailer. I do want the Home 64-bit version. I have an ASUS M/B (P5Q SE) with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 CPU.

Edited by deltatrooper, 26 February 2014 - 03:13 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hello,

And Tiger Direct

Yes, I've look at both Tiger Direct and NewEgg. Wasn't quite sure if there was a CoA that came with the OS and if I could just install an OEM version on my own PC without being a retailer. I do want the Home 64-bit version. I have an ASUS M/B (P5Q SE) with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 CPU.

Not sure if i know exactly what you are saying, Sure there versions should have a certificate of authenticity ,these are OEM versions.

Or if your asking will they work on installation on your PC.

You do have to be careful where you do purchase it, i felt these companies are reputable, mostly OEM are meant for System Builders.

Tell you for the cost of Windows 7 still, i would go with Windows 8.1 be ahead of the technology.

But that is your choice.

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
You'd be best off buying the full version and not an OEM version. The price should be about the same.

deltatrooper

deltatrooper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello,

And Tiger Direct

Not sure if i know exactly what you are saying, Sure there versions should have a certificate of authenticity ,these are OEM versions.

You do have to be careful where you do purchase it, i felt these companies are reputable, mostly OEM are meant for System Builders.

Tell you for the cost of Windows 7 still, i would go with Windows 8.1 be ahead of the technology.

But that is your choice.

Thanks jds63. I'm always sucking hind tit when it comes to Microsoft's OS. I'll wait for WIN 9 or whatever before going to WIN 8.1 or whatever :lol:

Yes, I want to be careful where I purchase, that's why I had asked for a reputable retailer. I want to be sure I get a Product ID that will be valid when I activate it on Microsoft's website.

You'd be best off buying the full version and not an OEM version. The price should be about the same.

KingdomSeeker:

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or I just didn't see it. Where did you see a full version of WIN 7 Home Premium 64bit?

Thanks!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
You will find it very hard to find Windows 7 Pro, boxed Retail from a reputable outlet, and it is getting harder to source Windows 5 Home Premium, boxed Retail.
> http://www.newegg.co...116-986:$$$$$$$
> http://www.walmart.c...erating Systems
Microsoft Windows OS, OEM ver. license, once installed on a system and activated, is tied to the MB and may not normally be then installed on another system/MB,
Microsoft Windows OS, Retail ver. licence, can be used on a different system/MB but only one instance at a time,

There is also a difference in the amount of RAM that is recognizedin different versions. > http://msdn.microsof...a366778(v=vs.85).aspx

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hello,

And Tiger Direct

But that is your choice.

Thanks jds63. I'm always sucking hind tit when it comes to Microsoft's OS. I'll wait for WIN 9 or whatever before going to WIN 8.1 or whatever :lol:

Yes, I want to be careful where I purchase, that's why I had asked for a reputable retailer. I want to be sure I get a Product ID that will be valid when I activate it on Microsoft's website.

KingdomSeeker:

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or I just didn't see it. Where did you see a full version of WIN 7 Home Premium 64bit?

Thanks!

Your Welcome, god luck on what you find, do your homework first.

iammykyl Post at walmart is not an OEM

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Please take another look at Walmart offer, "OEM System Builder Pack" > http://www.walmart.c...-02050/19581740 Click on the gallery thumbnails.

jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• Expert
  • 92 posts
  • MVP
Whatever you decide to do, after activation -- check validation -

www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate

(NOTE: ^^^ will start activation check immediately)