Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win8-Win7HP-Win7Ult Homegroup Peculiarity

• Please log in to reply

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Hello All,

It's been a while since I last visited geekstogo, but I'm back for the "next round." Our household had resisted Windows 8 for as long as it could, but we've now "become one with the borg." I recently acquired a Toshiba Satellite A Series with Windows 8.1. All the other computers in our house are Windows 7 or earlier. This question regards the behavior of the homegroup versus what can be seen on the network between the above mentioned machine, another that is running Win7 Home Premium, and another that's running Win7 Ultimate. I will designate these machines a W8, W7H, and W7U

All three machines have no trouble joining the same homegroup. On both of the Win7 machines if you look at the homegroup it shows the other machines in the homegroup, but not itself, which is what I expect. W7H shows W8 and W7U in homegroup and W7U shows W7H and W8 in homrgroup. The weirdness is on W8, which shows W8 and W7U in homegroup, with no trace of W7H.

At the same time, if you look at Network for all of these machines they all show themselves, each other, our Verizon modem-router, and our WinVista laptop (when it's on).

I will note that W7H, which isn't showing up on W8, has Comodo firewall running on it. W7U has AVG managing the firewall and W8 the Windows built-in firewall.

I'm at a complete loss as to how these machines can all be visible to each other when you look at Network but not when you look at homegroup, particularly since all machines have successfully joined the homegroup.

If I've missed any essential information just ask for what you need and I'll try to get it for you. Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Edited by britechguy, 02 March 2014 - 11:20 AM.

Advertisements