Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broswers crash when uploading and downloading

browser download uploads crash

• Please log in to reply

Russ Tierney

Russ Tierney

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I use both Firefox and Google chrome, and both crash every time I try to upload a photo across any site; flickr, facebook etc.  Also if i right click save as to download, the same thing happens.  When it first happened, after i crashed the browser several times it would start working again like nothing was wrong.  And then Firefox started to refuse to open let alone restore the page I crashed on.  Enduring the crash several times is one thing, it being unresponsive and needing to restart the computer to get firefox to launch again is another.

This happened out of the blue since Sunday night maybe and is a nightmare, especially as a photographer!  Everything else functions perfectly in terms of my browsers.  The only thing i can see being of any difference and to have changed since it's occurrence was when I was working on a document; a notification of sorts to prompt me to act on something must have came up and because i was too busy typing and bashing return (i'm not a touch typer as such, while fast, i look at the keyboard while typing) and i must have prompted something which in turn opened up a million tabs, so i closed down the browser instantly.  I can't even be sure the two things are related.

I've also done a whole bunch of google searches which suggest this isn't an isolated case but I have gained little insight either.  It seems something so silly yet no some seems to be able to give a solid answer to it.  I've tried disabling ad ons on the browsers, updating Java... all stuff i know nothing about but have tried to work through from searches and get my head around.  A well informed computer friend of mine who works in the apps/gaming industry instantly suggested Java too when i mentioned it on facebook in frustration, yet has offered no more clarity.

Quite simply it's not something i can live with and any help is greatly and desperately received in the most basic laymen terms possible... just assume i haven't got a clue what you're talking about and write it in crayon and i'll try to follow...

Advertisements

Russ Tierney

Russ Tierney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

The culprit is 'Rapport', it's worked of me uninstalling it should anyone wonder across this thread with the same problem.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Just looking for some scarification.

By "Rapport", are you referring to this security software? > http://www.trusteer....rusteer-rapport

Did you install it? or did some other application sneak it on to your system without informing you?