Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring an OS

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I am considering the purchase of a refurb latop (Latitude E4310) from a company with decent reviews.  It would have WIN 7 Pro 64 bit as an OS.  The problem is the hard drive which is too small.  I have a Seagate 500G that I could replace it with but would the OS be transferrable?  I tried to buy a retail WIN7 with no luck at finding one.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

I am considering the purchase of a refurb latop (Latitude E4310) from a company with decent reviews.  It would have WIN 7 Pro 64 bit as an OS.  The problem is the hard drive which is too small.  I have a Seagate 500G that I could replace it with but would the OS be transferrable?  I tried to buy a retail WIN7 with no luck at finding one.

Hi,

Yes you can clone the drive to the new disk. Seagate offers you a special version of Acronis True image called DiscWizard that can do that task without any problem you only need to connect both drives to the machine for example using and USB adapter like this or this.