Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing File <windows root>\system31\hal.dll.

• Please log in to reply

Steviep

Steviep

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

I wonder if someone could help?

I was trying to tidy up my laptop and was uninstalling some programs using Revo uninstaller however since I stopped I can get windows to boot as I get this error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

Things are further complicated by the fact that my disc drive is not working on the laptop. Could anyone give me some pointers on how to get the laptop working again?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Hello Steviep

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key when you have restarted the computer.

Try Last Known Good Configuration;

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature

To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:

1. Start your computer.
  2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
  3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
  4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

Steviep

Steviep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have tried that and also Safe mode and safe with command prompt all with the same result :no:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

What was the result please.

If you are saying you can get to Safe Mode with Command Prompt do the following;

At the C: prompt, type chkdsk c:/r and press Enter.
Check disk will start to run but then it will say:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y for yes, and press Enter.
Restart the computer using the reset button.
Chkdsk should start on next boot
Let all 5 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer or you will have problems (The chkdsk process may take many hours to finish.)

Chkdsk finds any corrupted files that are causing the problem and fixes them.
Read the results of each phase as it finishes.
During the final phase, it will notify you if it finds any corrupted files.
When the Check Disk is done, it will hopefully finish loading Windows.

Steviep

Steviep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

I cant get into safe mode, when I try to go into either safe mode or  command prompt I get the same error message about the #

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Any idea what is wrong with your disk drive.

The fact that you mention that your disk drive is not working suggests that you may have an XP or system restore disk, is this correct.

Back in about 30 minutes.

Steviep

Steviep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Hi, the laptop was dropped from a chair over a year ago while the DVD try was open and its never worked since. I sometimes thinks we shouldn't be allowed near technology :oops:    I do have an OEM install disc for XP though

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Ouch  :( 

Is there data on the HDD that you would like to try and back up in case the problem is with the HDD.

Do you have a USB thumb drive that you can use.

Steviep

Steviep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

I think there are some photos that I would like to save if possible but I don't suppose its the end of the world if they need to go, I have a USB stick that I can use

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

You can download Puppy Linux, save it to a USB thumb drive and then see if you can copy your photos from the HDD, USB Puppy information here, I have included the steps below that we provide for using Puppy on disk as it will give you an idea about mounting the drive etc, it can also be used for running a disk check.

=================== 

***Required Hardware*** 

CD Burner (CDRW) Drive, 

Blank CD, 

Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)  

=================== 

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:

• Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso) 

Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software 

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here; http://www.pendrivel...e-from-windows/ 

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer 

• Extract All files to a location you can remember 

• Double Click 1%20BurnCDCC%20Icon.PNG BurnCDCC 

• Click Browse 2%20BurnCDCC%20Browse%20Button.PNG and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded 

• Open/Double Click that file 

IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x 

• Click Start 3%20BurnCDCC%20Start%20Button.PNG 

• Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically 

• Insert a blank CD and close the tray 

• Click OK 

Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created 

2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second 

•  

• Start the computer/press the power button 

• Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup" 

(Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen) 

• Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to: 

CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd 

• Open your ROM drive and insert the disk 

• Press F10 to save and exit 

• Agree with "Y" to continue 

• Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD 

4%20BIOSBootPriorityImage.png 

3.  Recover Your Data 

• Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM).  You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer".  Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning.  Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy.  To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once.  Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to.  This is normal.  Ready?  Let's get started. 

3a. Mount Drives 

• Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. 5%20Puppy%20Linux%20Mount%20Icon.PNG 

• A Window will open.  By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted.  Click on Mount for your hard drive. 

• Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount. 

• USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted. 

• If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab.  Mount it now. 

3b. Transfer Files.

•  

• At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon. 

• Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1 

• Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1 

• If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows) 

• From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window. 

For The Novice:  The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos

Remember to only click once!  No double clicking!  Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy.  Choose COPY each time you drag and drop. 

YOU ARE DONE!!!  Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer.  Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations! 

PuppyLinux528screenshot.png 

I have a suggestion once your data is backed up.

Advertisements

Steviep

Steviep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Hi, Thanks for that worked a treat managed to save my pictures so many thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

That is good news  :thumbsup:

Back to my suggestion, please see the guide here for how to make a bootable XP install USB flash drive etc.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Steviep

Steviep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Good Morning,

Sat for a couple of hours trying to follow the instructions without success, I did manage to use my windows disc to make an .iso file but I seem to be haivg trouble setting up the USB drive. Do you think this would work:

these are the steps to follow!

• Download rufus from here
  • Plug in your USB Flash drive
  • to make a Windows bootdisk (Windows XP/7) select NTFS as file system
  • then click on the buttons that looks like a DVD drive, that one near to the checkbox that says "Create bootable disk usng:"
  • Choose the XP ISO
  • Click Start

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Good Morning Steve,

Rufus is an alternative method so yes please do give it a go.

Steviep

Steviep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

thanks Phil, I'm at work so will try Rufus when I get home- only one question and that is i note the instructions say"select NTFS as file system" is that correct as something is telling me that its normally FAT32 or does it not matter, or am I completely wrong ? :headhurt: