Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my motherboard and processor

upgrade motherboard cpu reformat backup

• Please log in to reply

Arenas

Arenas

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

I am planning to upgrade my motherboard and processor and I wonder what steps should I do to install it in my current pc.

Do I have to clean reinstall win7? Do I have to repurchase OS? I don't want to buy OS again if so.

My current specs are:

cpu: A6-3500 apu w/ 6530D

motherboard: gigabyte GA-a55m-ds2

Videocard: Powercolor 7750HD 1gb ddr5

PSU: Cosair vs450 450w

RAM: 4gb

I would like to change my motherboard and processor to:

cpu: i3-4130

motherboard: Asrock- h81m-dgs

I'm not really familiar with installing softwares and I don't want to have any problems, thank you.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Arenas.

If you change the MB/CPU you will have to reinstall the OS.   If you have a full retail version of the OS, you can use it again on a new MB, providing it is not also on another system at the same time.   If the OS is a OEM version or a Dell/HP type, you cannot use it on a different MB, so would have to buy a new one.

If you don't mind telling us what' wrong with your present system and what you want to achieve by doing a upgrade, we may be able to give you some alternatives.

Arenas

Arenas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Yes, I do have a full retail version. What should I do with my present system to make my upgrade possible? (like uninstalling drivers, formatting hard drives) What are the important things to consider to make it as smooth as possible? Thank you btw for a quick response.

There's nothing really wrong or maybe I thought my processor is not good enough and would not be as compatible with future upgrades since it's in FM1 motherboard. I don't see a lot of FM1 processors in our country. I thought that having a LGA 1150 would make it easy for me to do upgrades further.

Edited by Arenas, 06 June 2014 - 02:54 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

To be able to reuse your OS on a new system you could, first, save any important DATA to another source, like external HDD or flash drive, then, Format the drive.

Upgrading a system is normally very limited if the system is fairly basic.   Looking at your rig.

You could upgrade to a faster CPU giving you a snappier quicker performance but will not improve gaming.

To gain game performance you would need to go to a much better card, then you PSU may not be able to supply enough wattage or Amps, and/or the CPU may bottlenect the graphics

Your OS will not support any more than the 4GB of RAM you have installed.

Just switching to an Intel CPU 1150 and MB, the RAM may not be compatible + the above CPU and GPU.

your need to have a goal, If you really want to do high end gaming, photo, video, sound editing or extreme overclocking and benching, then it is worth having a better system.  But if your present one does the things you want, it just is'nt worth the cost.

I seldom do upgrades on the computers I have but run them for 3 or 4 years, then build new, because a lot of the latest technology is not compatible with the older hardware. 

Arenas

Arenas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I'm not really looking into a very highly competitive gaming performance. I played games with this system, games that doesn't require very high computer performance and it was pretty fair. I just wanted my system to be quicker and faster when running applications. My mom's pc runs with an i3 processor and I really feel at ease when using it (not playing games), I felt it's a lot quicker and faster to respond and I want that feels for my system.

What do I have to look for to check the RAM and other issues of compatibilty? 

Well if this is a bad idea I would be grateful if you give me some alternatives. Thank you!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

The most powerful APU your MB would support is a A8-3870K > http://www.gigabyte....p.aspx?pid=3998

This would not be worth the upgrade as performance would only go up a little.

You could sell the computer and put towards a new build, or build new, possible using some parts from the old system.  

Please give your max budget.

Is the existing computer a brand name like Dell/HP?   If not,

Give the brand/model of, HDD, Case, PSU. 

Arenas

Arenas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

a8-3860k is not available in our country, and even the athlon x4 which model can fit FM1 is also unavailable.

I could possibly sell my system around 180$(peso converted) I suppose.

I don't know my maximum budget for certain, I'm still a student but I am willing to save and spend 200$ that'll took maybe at the end of this month.

Brand model of HDD: hitachi hds721050cla660

Case: Cheap midtower powerlogic v17 (generic)

PSU: Corsair VS450 450w

RAM: kingston 4gb ddr3 1333mhz

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Not possible to do anything with a $200 budget as you will need a new OS.   This option is to change the MB and CPU and reuse all your other parts.   There would still be a market for the MB, CPU and OS disk, best sold together.

The suggested CPU is the top i3.   The MB is the latest generation platform, 

H97M PRO4.   you will be able to upgrade to a i5 or i7 in the future.

Parts list, > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NxRkgs

MB Web Site, > http://www.asrock.co...ntel/H97M Pro4/

Arenas

Arenas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

the best i3 i found in our country is i3-4150. Fx-6300 is in pretty close price range, what could be my best buy?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

There is very little difference in performance overall between them, one does better in some things than the other, and visa versa. I don't think, in every day use, you would be able to pick the difference.

The Fx-6300 is socket AMD+ which appears to be end of life, don't think there will be any new CPUs, upgrade path is very limited, cheaper to buy but uses more power, produces more heat, more expensive to run, no integrated graphics, if your add on video card dies, no computer.

The i3, more expensive, uses less power, produces less heat, cheaper to run, has integrated graphics, very good upgrade path, the H97 Motherboards will also take the next 5th generation CPUs.

If it was my build, the Intel wins, hands down.

Arenas

Arenas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Okay!. Thank you very much for your help!