Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format

• Please log in to reply

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

My nephew brought me his HP620 to see if I can fix it. It has W7 32bit SP1. I cannot get to the internet so I downloaded the wan drivers but the laptop will not show my usb. Anyway he has nothing on it that he wants to keep and wants me to format it. I cannot find how to do that on this laptop. I have not had this problem before so again I have to ask for help.  I had a restore disk and a repair disk but none of that helped me out. Is there a way to format this or will he have to take it in to repair. Thank you for your time.

ginnyjoe

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Have your tried going back to the first restore point listed?

Use the following steps to open and use System Restore in Windows 7 safe mode:

1. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F8 key repeatedly until the startup menu displays.

2. From the Advanced Boot Options menu, select Safe Mode with command prompt , and then press Enter .

3. At the command prompt, type rstrui.exe , and then press Enter .

4. Read and respond to the screens to restore the system.

If the System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed ... message displays, continue to the next step.

Three ways to restore, 

http://www.pctechbyt...y-in-windows-7/

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Manual is here: HP 620 Laptop Manual

Here is how to restore to factory new state:

HP 620 Recovery.jpg

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

When I go to the disk management it shows the HP_Recovery partition. So I did the restart then the startup menu but there is no F11 so it wouldn't enter the HP recovery. So I am at a loss again. I also did everything that iammkyl told me to but no go on that also. sigh

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

When I go to the disk management it shows the HP_Recovery partition. So I did the restart then the startup menu but there is no F11 so it wouldn't enter the HP recovery. So I am at a loss again. I also did everything that iammkyl told me to but no go on that also. sigh

Would you happen to have HP Recovery Manager (might be called HP Backup and Recovery Manager) still installed on your computer ? If so, you can call a Factory Restore from it :

http://h10010.www1.h...=c01443342#N151

The procedure is under "Using HP System Recovery".

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

That is not on this laptop either. I researched hp and it says that some of their systems do not have a system recovery you have to get a disk off the internet. That really is terrible. I will search and see what I can find. Will get back to you later.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

That is not on this laptop either. I researched hp and it says that some of their systems do not have a system recovery you have to get a disk off the internet. That really is terrible. I will search and see what I can find. Will get back to you later.

If you want, you can always format this laptop while reinstalling Windows 7 (you have the option to "Format" the partition). Do you still have that laptop original Windows installation CD/DVD with you ? If so, I can guide you through that process, it's a matter of 2-3 clicks, no more !

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Have a look here............

You can find out what version of windows you are running with this tool.

http://download.blee...MiniToolBox.exe

Just run it and click flush dns then hit the go button, this is what I get for my machine.

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 11-06-2014
Ran by ---------- (administrator) on 11-06-2014 at 14:51:08
Running from "C:\Users\----------\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1 (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Flush DNS: ===================================

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

**** End of log ****

The info that you need is in bold.

http://www.w7forums....ownloads.12325/

Go to the link above and download the version that you need.

You will need your COA sticker number. Use this tool if the product key is not visible.

http://www.magicalje....com/keyfinder/

Format and install windows 7

http://www.sevenforu...indows-7-a.html

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Did you follow the directions I posted?

First you have to press Esc, next you press F11.

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Yes I followed what you said but when I do the esc key I get F1 System info,F2 System Diagnostic,F7 HP Spare Key,F9 Boot Options,F10 Bios Setup,F12 Network Boot. No F11 so I was not able to go further unless I am missing something. I have an HP Pavillion recovery is there any way I can use this on the HP 620 for a recovery. Both of them are laptops.

Edited by ginnyjoe, 12 June 2014 - 09:44 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Are you talking about an HP Pavilion Recovery Disk ? If yes, it can't be used on the laptop as far as I'm aware as these disks are specific to the computer/laptop models identified on them.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Follow the steps agan from Ztruker, Reply #3, use the F2 key and run the Diagnostic tool.

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

OK so I did everything that I was told. Ran diagnostics, did a restart but there is no F11.. Today I called HP and they will be sending me a recovery disc. The cost is very low just $10 US. Thank you for all the work you guys did to help me. I really appreciate this site. I was starting to think I was going bonkers because I have never had so much trouble  doing a recovery before and now I know that you have to have the disc. When I looked at the manual it said some of their computers need the disc to do a recovery. So thanks again. 

Edited by ginnyjoe, 14 June 2014 - 02:51 PM.