Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi in Whole House Disconnects and Reconnects with Delays in Between

wifi internet disconnect wireless internet wireless internet problems network troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply

flukeman77

flukeman77

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

I am having a really annoying issue with my wireless internet. My internet provider has been 3 times in the last two months for similiar connectivity problems, but hasn't been able to REALLY solve the problem. I've spent about an hour reading over similar forum posts and helpguides over internet connectivity, but it seems my problem is a little unique. Most people are having trouble with one computer, or are having problems with new software they added. Our connectivity problem effects the entire hosue. At random times during the day (sometimes early, afternoon, evening, and even middle of the night), my internet feels like it would be a good idea to go ahead and stop working. It is incredibly annoying and sometimes harmful. I use the internet at my house everyday. I am a college student and a gamer, so when I am in the middle of an online test for school or slaying dragons, when my internet stops working, it really irritates me. My dad also works from home during the day and has had the same problem with his connection. This problem also effects the wifi for our tv, smart phones, and tablets. I will try to describe the issue as best as I can.

Picture yourself on the computer surfing the net, all of the sudden, the next page you navigate to loads with an error message for connectivity. You look at your network connection and the signal strength is 5 out of 5 bars, and even says "internet access", but nothing will load. Games will disconnect, and tests will time out. You go downstairs, and the person watching netflix on the tv is having the same problem. After a short stay downstairs you go back upstairs and the internet is running smooth, but it goes down again all too soon. The disconnection only lasts a short moment (about 2-3minutes long), and then you are able to actually load the pages or videos, but a few minutes later (anywhere from ~1 minute to ~5 minutes), you don't have internet again. If this were the entireity of the farce, then I would be able to manage the short disconnections every once and a while, but in our house, the flurry of disconnects and connects lasts for upwards of 30 minutes. It is just plain annoying. Please help!

I, and my family, would greatly appreciate any advice pretaining to this problem.

Thanks for reading,

Luke

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
My internet provider has been 3 times in the last two months for similiar connectivity problems, but hasn't been able to REALLY solve the problem.

Hello! Has he suggested you may need a new router?? They are electronic and wear out just like every thing else!!

That seems to be the only thing common to all your devises. Your internet provider should be able to tell you if your router is bad, but maybe intermittent and works fine when he's there. Can you use a USB cord and plug directly into the router when the internet fails?? If it's happening all the time it won't take long to plug into the router and see if the connection stays up.

witblitz

witblitz

• Pip
  • 2 posts

You might also want to see if it is not one of the devices that is causing the problem. I recently had a similar problem and through a process of elimination figured out that it was only happening when my laptop was connected to the wifi it would disrupt the internet connection on all the other devices. After much discussion with HP they replace the network card under guarantee the and problem was solved.