Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalling Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Out of curiosity I loaded and tried Ubuntu. Its not for me and now want to remove it.

As a result of issues with my newer laptop I am now using an old Advent QT5500 and it is set to dual boot with Ubuntu and Vista.

I do not have any disks relating to Vista.

I will be grateful if someone can guide me through the process of uninstalling Ubuntu from my laptop.

Thanks

Edited by FXRStuarty, 22 July 2014 - 04:32 AM.

Advertisements

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Hi. I can help you with this.

You will however need a Vista Disk to boot from. You can obtain a genuine copy here: http://www.askvg.com...: AskVG (AskVG)

When you have downloaded and burnt a copy:

• Boot your Vista installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
  • At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C:) and click Next
  • At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory

Then type bootrec /fixmbr

This will then set Vista as the default boot manager again.

Next is removing the Ubuntu partitions on your hard drive.

Let me know when you are at this step and I will talk you through it.

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Hi. I can help you with this.

You will however need a Vista Disk to boot from. You can obtain a genuine copy here: http://www.askvg.com...: AskVG (AskVG)

When you have downloaded and burnt a copy:

• Boot your Vista installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
  • At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C:) and click Next
  • At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory

Then type bootrec /fixmbr

This will then set Vista as the default boot manager again.

Next is removing the Ubuntu partitions on your hard drive.

Let me know when you are at this step and I will talk you through it.

Thanks for your offer of assistance.

I am not clear on what is required here.

I have gone to the link in your message and I am in the process of downloading the .exe and 2 .wim files. They are then saved to my desktop.

How do I "burn" to a cd?

Do I open the files from my desktop? If so, how do I then copy to a cd?

Grateful for your help.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts
http://www.askvg.com...from-microsoft/

This tool will help you create a bootable DVD or USB drive from the files you have downloaded.

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Thanks.

I'm sorry to say that your instruction still make no sense to me.

Clicking on the link I find the information refers to Windows 7. I do not have Windows 7, I have Vista. Also, the info refers to a Windows 7 ISO file and its path. Again, no W7 and do not know where any ISO file is. The files I downloaded per your last instruction is 1 x .exe and

2 x .wim files.

Anyway, I clicked on the .exe file (in pic it is column 4, 3 from bottom) which was saved to my Desktop and I got what is shown in the attached screenshot.

This suggests to me that, as there seems to be a reloading of Windows, there will be changes made to my system. Will this impact on the data I recently recovered from my other laptop and which is now saved to the laptop I am now using, ie with UBUNTU which is to be removed?

Grateful for your further clarification.

ScreenShot UBUNTU Removal.jpg

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Sorry for the confusion.

The file you have run extracted a folder to your desktop called Vista. This along with the other files you donwloaded can be used to recreate the DVD.

Rather than me type it out, Here is a link with full instructions on how to proceed to make the disc from the files you have.

https://www.raymond....s-vista-to-dvd/

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Thank you again for your guidance.

Having looked at the instructions and tried to follow it through at least to a point, I feel I am out of my depth doing this.

I will suffer UBUNTU.

Thanks for your help.

Please close this thread and the associated request.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

No problem.

If you can get hold of a Vista Disk though, the rest can be accomplished fairly easily so feel free to ask again if you can borrow one.

Incoming

Incoming

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Just to clarify, you used an Ubuntu Live CD, right? Not the wubi installer?

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Hello.

I finally managed to set up my system to boot to Windows and not Ubuntu.

To do this I used EasyRe Downloaded the files and then downloaded IsoBurner to get the file on to a disk.

Followed the instruction (scarey when ya dont know what you are doing :upset: ) and my laptop now boots to Windows and I do not need to choose which system, Windows or Ubuntu, to run.

Now that this is done the next thing is removing Ubuntu from the laptop.

Grateful for any advise and guidance.

Stuart

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Just to clarify, you used an Ubuntu Live CD, right? Not the wubi installer?

I am sure I didnt use a disk so must have downloaded Ubuntu....horrible thing it is too! :D